Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you measure these?

The guy I bought them from says they are 16x8.
But when I measure from inside the lip, they are 17's.

They were refurbished and powdercoated so I can't see the specs on the wheel. How can I measure these for proper diameter?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Post the strings of numbers that are too small to read in this photo.

Those look to be 17x8 and either e28 if you are lucky (assuming you have a w124) or a lower number offset which won't work with a 124 chassis but maybe s class friendly. :)

Those wheels are going to look great if they are intended for your 124 chassis...just be careful w tire size.

a number like e28 on the face of the rim will mean those are et28 offset...good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't make out the numbers because they are powdercoated over.

They were going to go on a mk3 jetta, but if they aren't 16's, which I'm pretty sure they're not, they're too big. I'm trying to figure out how to measure them.

Pretty sure they are 17's. Did they make an 18 inch size w/o the ///?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I've never seen that wheel in an 18, but have owned it in 17, 16 and 15. The 15 and 16 are clearly different than what you have...the 17x8 Aero I (pre /// as you noted)

Do you know what car they came off of? The only remaining question is the offset, and if you cannot read it off one of the wheels, someone here, not me, can likely tell you how to measure the offset. Noted from another thread that this is a vw fitment question.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what they came off of.
Can't see what was on the side either.
I measured the offset and came up with around 25 if I did it right. Does that sound about right?

If I measure the "face," they measure 17". If I include the lip, they measure 18".

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Again, there is no need to measure the diameter or width, those are 17x8 aero 1 (pre ///)

Only the offset is unknown,
and they came in et28,
he has done a rough measure of et25,
so there is a fair chance these are et28.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, there is no need to measure the diameter or width, those are 17x8 aero 1 (pre ///)

Only the offset is unknown,
and they came in et28,
he has done a rough measure of et25,
so there is a fair chance these are et28.
That's all I really need to know. If they aren't 16 then the guy sold me something not described, therefore I should be entitled to a refund. Thanks for your help RHW. Very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1995 E420
56 Posts
Agree with Rich that if you measured a 25 that these are probably the et28 models. If you have trouble returning them, you could also post them for sale on the boards here. Probably a few board members interested in buying these because of the old school look.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
True, if those are et28, these w124 chassis boards are the right place to sell them. They look great on our cars.

My 95 silver Cab on your wheels:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree with Rich that if you measured a 25 that these are probably the et28 models. If you have trouble returning them, you could also post them for sale on the boards here. Probably a few board members interested in buying these because of the old school look.
Really? How much do you think they would go for?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True, if those are et28, these w124 chassis boards are the right place to sell them. They look great on our cars.

They look really good. I want some for my car. If you come across any 16's, let me know!

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,323 Posts

Indeed ;)

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
I have a set of E28 for sale - PM me if interested, will post in the 'for sale' section shortly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts