Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at my girlfriend's garage today doing some work. Ever since I got back from Germany last weekend, I didn't have time to do anything. Luckily it was a holiday and I had the day off.

I was lucky enough to find 2 sets of AMG headers w/ downpipes, which I will be using one for my 560 and the other I'll be loaning to see if they could be duplicated. Both the Tri-Y's and the AMG headers were not cleaned or ceramic coated yet, they're still "dirty". Eventually I will be selling my second set of original AMG headers/down pipes but I figure I'd try to see if they could be duplicated at a fair cost. These headers were in storage for a while and I picked them up via my good friend when I went to visit him.

First, let me point out that the rumor that was once said that AMG headers are stamped/marked is false. The only part of the AMG exhaust system thats marked/stamped/labeled are the center and rear mufflers. No part of the actual headers have any markings.

Second, although they are similar... there are differences between the two.
- The obvious is the weight difference between cast iron and steel piping
- downpipe routing on driver's side are different than on Tri-Y manifolds
- Entrance opening have the same diameter, but the exit openings are smaller in diameter than on the Tri-Y's.
- downpipes are different and are not interchangeable.

I don't really know if there really is any difference in terms of performance between the two... but a smaller diameter exit port is noted on the AMG. Personally, I would think the Tri-Y's would flow better because of the larger diameter piping and that its one piece with no welding marks. However when viewing the inside portions of the AMG headers... it is smooth and not as bumpy as found on Tri-Y's.

Included are pictures I made for those who I know would like to add them in their HD photo collection;)

Attachments

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,968 Posts
Awesome AMG bits, Dr. G! You've been busy!

Just wondering - are there auto swap meets in Germany that one could locate Mercedes bits/AMG bits? Any organized, large scale annual deals that would be a worthwhile "must see"?

Al

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
You know what this post means right?, you have confirmed that I have a set of AMG original headers on my 117 motor being cleaned up for putting in my blue SEC.....as they look exactly the same. No Markings but they were attached to a sebring/AMG saddlebags and muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
story makes it sound like you found all this stuff in your girlfriend's garage. she's a keeper!!

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
The only problem I have with these is that the driver side throttle linkage, even though adjusted, rubbed if floored with the motor sway (and yes I had new motor mounts) so it might need tweaked just a bit on one side. But this is just my experience, I perfer the tri-ys as they were designed by MB engineers and fit around the PS box a bit better...........Performance-wise, I always liked these matched up with my sebring exhaust before it got cancer but have not tried the tri-ys.

Thank you for posting this as if i remember the last time i shared these pictures I was told these were hom-made and not AMG

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Al, I've got quiet a few sources in Germany. There isn't a said "market" or swapping place... but some club members bring parts that would be of interest to other members. My friend who helped you with shipping your AMG exhaust system once again helped me with this piece:thumbsup:

HeirKranz... I remember you having AMG headers before. Were they put on a stock M117 or one thats modified? Do you have mechanical lifters on your M117 as well? Chances are you've got an AMG tuned motor as well:thumbsup:

Mapearso... LOL, actually if I re-read what I wrote it does sound as though I found them in my girlfriend's garage. However, I just dropped off my AMG headers and other parts that I've gathered from my trip to Germany last week when I came back home. I just didn't have time to go through all the things I picked up due to lack of time. My girlfriend, fortunately, is very understanding of my obsession and is perfectly fine with it:D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Even though these were attached to a US spec motor, I always thought it had more pickup and go power than even my euro one. But the cams were stock US ones, as one of the oil jet's plugged up and caused one of my cams to wear down, when I replaced this one cam, replaced the valve seals and swapped the chain and rails, there was no AMG markings on the cams. so maybe these headers and exhaust were added in the US after the fact as that poor old SEC appeared to also have the springs heated and dropped.......a Miami special (car has been dismantled now)

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,334 Posts
What is the noise level like with Try-Ys and such?
I am interested since I don't need emissions for my registration in Arizona.

But I also like the muted sedate rush of power with the stock system.

Best of both worlds available?

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
AMG headers vs. Mercedes ECE Tri-Y's
Compiling & documenting, based on 1st-hand observation, production characteristics of the old AMG :cool: Carrying forward knowledge AMG themselves neglected - specs/records. Not to say (re)production capability.

As with 48hps widebody kit, it's cool to see 'old-school' enhancements brought back to the market. So despite AMG's indifference to this generation it spawned -
"The Kids are Alright" :bowdown:
The Who

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
46,167 Posts
The tubular headers / down pipes cascade got from MBtruck had no markings either, and could well be AMG.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
+1 on the sentiments on 48hp bringing NLA parts to market. :thumbsup:

My solid lifter 500 and 560 Euro are just screaming for a couple sets of manifolds.

A dyno run on both sets for comparison would be excellent. Feasible, not so much.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
fantastic dr!

neat photo, bunch of headers watching the downpipes pass by...

lol. it's late, good night.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
so I have a question and i'm going to throw this one out there to all who have a full set of Tri Ys......It seems that I neglected to remember that when I bought my set it was missing the passenger side downpipes.....that being said I guess I need to source 2 OEM heavy duty flange rings and find a member who will let me duplicate the passenger side either borrowing to replicate or sending someone cash and the flanges to have someone/shop do it locally (time permitting, no rush) pm me if anyone wants to help me out with this.

below is the difficult side that goes around the PS box, passenger should be easier to duplicate.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Interesting, the set NOS AMG headers I had were a noticeably smaller diameter on the inlet and exhaust side of things.. Plus, if I was going to run them I would spend some time w/ my Long die grinder bits tidying everything up as there was a lot of "slag" protruding through. Chances are your headers were made over there and the bits here were made state side..

You can make the inside of the cast bits Beautifully smooth w/o going crazy..took me about an hour or two making mine look Proper.. Ideally, extrude honing would be the way to go, but it's $$$ and shipping 60lbs of cast iron around isn't exactly cheap either;-)

I've still got 10 sets of CNC'd flanges copied from AMG's headers.. been sitting upstairs for about 2+ years now..

jono

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Well Jono I may be picking a set of those flanges up from you but still need to source the passenger side downpipes, but I’m thinking it will be easier just to make it....

And as for the slag, before I ever do anything with the AMG headers (powder coating) I would too really work them over with the grinder, IMOP I think the cast ones will look better than the AMG ones, and as far as functionality??????? I think nominal differences and anything is better than a stock US setup, and an improvement over the euro logs.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,242 Posts
the difference between cast oem tri-y and any header is negligible.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
and should anyone have a set of cast oem triys or amg headers that they are selling... i am buying...

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll be shipping off my headers to a friend of mine who said he can have a place he knows attempt to replicate the AMG headers. I'll also check here locally first, if its a no-go.. then I'll go with my friend's offer. I'd like to see the headers and downpipes replicated at a more affordable cost... if anything comes out of it, I'll let you all know the details in this thread.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'll be shipping off my headers to a friend of mine who said he can have a place he knows attempt to replicate the AMG headers. I'll also check here locally first, if its a no-go.. then I'll go with my friend's offer. I'd like to see the headers and downpipes replicated at a more affordable cost... if anything comes out of it, I'll let you all know the details in this thread.:thumbsup:
Awesome, keep us posted (and if they want to replicate just that section I am missing too ;) )

1 - 20 of 83 Posts