Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There was a post earlier where a new and ambitious (but, sadly, rather confused...) member was talking big about the AMG Hammer.

I think he was properly advised of his mistaken assumptions, but I thought I'd share the pictures and text from my 1987 AMG North America catalog.

Now, the North American catalog is more pretty pictures than full and complete technical specifications, but it is quite clear that the Hammer designation was only for the w124 with with either a 5.4L or 6.0L, 4-valve heads, M117-based engine.

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
Correct. One of the brochures I've got shows a 6.0 300E/CE as "Hammer version".

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500 4Matic / 2008 W211 E350 4Matic
997 Posts
Pictures truly don't do it justice. I never liked the look of the 124 cars, but seeing my neighbor's old dark grey 6.0 Hammer with Euro mods was amazing. It really stands out from the stock 124.

P.S. I think it is very amusing that most Americans, at least those I know, think that the Hammer was the first AMG car.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
if you dig around in Mercedes Shop there is a thread some 6+ pages long debating on what a hammer is/who coined the term etc, etc..

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
While there's a lot of debate about who coined it, and if it refers to the engine or the car, it definitely applies (as a car name) to the W124 only.

So in my humble opinion, this would be incorrect:

I have a 560SEL Hammer

But this would be correct:

I have a 560SEL with the Hammer engine

Thank you class, that is all for today. :)

Bruce

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
AxelWulff said:
Now, the North American catalog is more pretty pictures than full and complete technical specifications, but it is quite clear that the Hammer designation was only for the w124 with with either a 5.4L or 6.0L, 4-valve heads, M117-based engine.
sorry, ...but isint this what ive been saying all along?

thanks axelwulff

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
AxelWulff said:
sorry, ...but isint this what ive been saying all along?

thanks axelwulff

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
jhodg5ck said:
if you dig around in Mercedes Shop there is a thread some 6+ pages long debating on what a hammer is/who coined the term etc, etc..

Jonathan
I think the only legitimate source for the proper use of "Hammer" is AMG themselves. :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The term Hammer is for the w124 with the DOHC - never for a w126 and never a term used to describe the DOHC m117.....it's the package of w124 + DOHC.

So no pyro_la...you never said this...don't make me put a link to your posts which were referencing the w126 and the engines as Hammers......completely incorrect !

talbir

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
talbir said:
The term Hammer is for the w124 with the DOHC - never for a w126 and never a term used to describe the DOHC m117.....it's the package of w124 + DOHC.

So no pyro_la...you never said this...don't make me put a link to your posts which were referencing the w126 and the engines as Hammers......completely incorrect !

talbir
talbir, if you bothered to read the previous posts on the thread last week you would have seen i was refering to the w124 300E as it stated on i believe my first post on the first page. i cant be resposible for someone who dosent read the entire tread.

furthermore if i remember correctly all i was refering to the m117 (w126) was that the hammer motors were derivitives of them. as it states in the literture above (which has all the same info as mine i was using last week) the hammer motors were reworked 560sel/sec motors.

and not to start anything all over again but you were the one who stated that the hammer came also in a 5 and 5.4 litre varient, which according to all the litertuture ive seen including the one at the top of this thread, is incorrect.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, I know one fellow who has a Car and Driver from 86 where they tested a 560 SEL w/ a 6L 32V and they referred to the car as a 'hammer'...not 'Hammer' as AMG coined it in the literature from 87.

That aside, in the earlier literature you can indeed get your 32V in either a 5, 5.2 or 5.4L variant.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
from what i understand the official Hammer was an 87 300E with upgrades. this may or may not be ture, but there are others (first posts) that agree with me.

like i said earlier, on the thread last week i was refering to the w124 when using the term hammer and in this respect there was no 5 or 5.4 motor options with the w124. as for these motors they may have been in other cars, but refering to them as hammers would be incorect.

what may have happened is people started to use the term hammer loosely and this is why we are having problems today. just like people refer to a ferrari 512tr and f512m as a testarossa because it looks alike and has similar characterisics to the original 87 testarossa even though they are all very unique different cars similar only to a novice.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
to be blunt.. who gives a shit. if you all just reffer to it as a 32V M117, then we have no problem. there are obviously different variants fo the engines that came in the Hammer cars, but does it really matter that much? this is silly. it would be more constructive to discuss how you intend to make a 'replica'. although you'd be a fool not to just get an M119.

·
Registered
1985 300SD
203 Posts
Whoa, this will probably sound stupid, but are there many of these still kicking around? for sale? what do they go for these days?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
One guy listed a Hammer W124 in Hemmings, the exact car supposedly tested by Car & Driver, for $975,000. That's not a typo.

But you can find replicas (built correctly) in Japan for $50K USD or so in very nice shape with low miles, Recaros, etc.

Bruce

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
to be blunt.. who gives a shit. if you all just reffer to it as a 32V M117, then we have no problem. there are obviously different variants fo the engines that came in the Hammer cars, but does it really matter that much? this is silly. it would be more constructive to discuss how you intend to make a 'replica'. although you'd be a fool not to just get an M119.

you are absolutly right, that was the reason i came to this fourm in the first place, to aquire info, and for whatever reason it has manifested iteslf into this. just the real problem is when people constantly say im incorect when really im not and they are the ones who just are misinformed.

p.s. as promised i have poted pics on the thread from last week look at the"4 valve cylinder heads for 560 sel/560sec" thread to view them

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
pyro_la said:
you are absolutly right, that was the reason i came to this fourm in the first place, to aquire info, and for whatever reason it has manifested iteslf into this. just the real problem is when people constantly say im incorect when really im not and they are the ones who just are misinformed.

p.s. as promised i have poted pics on the thread from last week look at the"4 valve cylinder heads for 560 sel/560sec" thread to view them
that's going to be a wee bit difficult as that thread is locked..however we would love to see them here.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
jonathan,

ive reopened a new thread with the same title, check it out. you especially have made this experience an enjoyable one.

enjoy the pics!

p.s. i told you once before, you should get into the habbit of researching who your dealing with before you get into it the way you did with me, you picked the wrong person to dance with this time...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
pyro_la said:
talbir, if you bothered to read the previous posts on the thread last week you would have seen i was refering to the w124 300E as it stated on i believe my first post on the first page. i cant be resposible for someone who dosent read the entire tread.

furthermore if i remember correctly all i was refering to the m117 (w126) was that the hammer motors were derivitives of them. as it states in the literture above (which has all the same info as mine i was using last week) the hammer motors were reworked 560sel/sec motors.

and not to start anything all over again but you were the one who stated that the hammer came also in a 5 and 5.4 litre varient, which according to all the litertuture ive seen including the one at the top of this thread, is incorrect.

You seem to have real trouble understanding terminology.

The Hammer is not a term for the engine..it is a term for the w124 + DOHC M117.

The literature above is the later years literature - the earliest w124 Hammer had a 5.0 32V DOHC.

Don't call others misinformed just because you have read a few brochures and a Fiat 500.

And one should never rely on media literature - only AMG literature. Independant car journalists get facts and myths royally mixed up....there are people out there who think the w124 500E had a widened transmission tunnel etc...plenty of myths. Only what AMG says matters.

talbir

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.