1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
Nice video... but anyone notice the non-period correct AMG exhaust tips?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
true, but I suspect when you have a stock pile of later mufflers hopefully made of something a bit more robust you save f*ck it and install the later muffler..;-)

I wonder what the actual production date of this example is...esp w/ that 320hph speedo!

Would have been OMFG is this was the Motronic car...perhaps they had plans for it given the added headroom on the cluster.

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
I love how he refers to the genII AMG steering wheel as thin, its a shame he didn't get a chance to drive it with the stock wheel then.

·
Registered
560SEC / 850CSI / 525i
73 Posts
Any way of getting a 560SEC to sound similar at all? Its far too quiet for my liking, but Im afraid if I put on a silly back box it would flip the other way and become far too loud and obnoxious..

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Any way of getting a 560SEC to sound similar at all? Its far too quiet for my liking, but Im afraid if I put on a silly back box it would flip the other way and become far too loud and obnoxious..
Totally, drop the centre resonators. My SEC has stainless pipes instead, straight through to he standard MB rear silencer box. Its a 420 and doesn't sound like a Hammer exactly, but it does sound pretty epic without being obnoxious :)

·
Registered
560SEC / 850CSI / 525i
73 Posts
Totally, drop the centre resonators. My SEC has stainless pipes instead, straight through to he standard MB rear silencer box. Its a 420 and doesn't sound like a Hammer exactly, but it does sound pretty epic without being obnoxious :)
Im worried doing that would lead to droning or resonance in the cabin, especially at higher speeds. I searched the forum and found you saying you wouldnt recommend it previously, what changed? :p

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/4719252-post9.html

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
I have two cars. One was hugely droney when I had a full stainless system fitted. I had another silencer fitted where the centre bit used to be and that sorted it out pretty much.
But the other, an SEC, came to me with stainless pipes straight through into the standard MB box. I wouldn't have thought of doing that, it sounds wicked but not droney. Much better all round than the other cars sound with the full stainless system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts