Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don't know the details but do know that there *is* a difference. If I have it correct, to start with the AMG cats are "thin-wall".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clem said:
Don't know the details but do know that there *is* a difference. If I have it correct, to start with the AMG cats are "thin-wall".
Are the SLK32 AMG dual mufflers louder then the basic SLK320 mufflers....

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The SLK 32 muffler system has to handle more power, and greater exhaust volume. The engine output is close to double what the 320's is and the volume of exhaust gasses is going to reflect that.
The backpressure may be a bit less as well.
If you're planning to see if it will work on your 320, consider it will be a hit or miss proposition, it takes time and so fair amount of engineering to get the exhaust to work well AND sound decent....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bruce R. said:
The SLK 32 muffler system has to handle more power, and greater exhaust volume. The engine output is close to double what the 320's is and the volume of exhaust gasses is going to reflect that.
The backpressure may be a bit less as well.
If you're planning to see if it will work on your 320, consider it will be a hit or miss proposition, it takes time and so fair amount of engineering to get the exhaust to work well AND sound decent....
Sorry my fault I don't have a 320 I have a 1998 SLK230, I am basically morphin' my SLK into a SLK32 (minus the engine) I bascially been collecting AMG parts off ebay for the past year..I recently had the full AMG 2nd generation bumper installed :thumbsup: which came out great...I also just had the AMG dual exhaust installed and it just seems louder then my original exhaust...:confused:

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
It's not a surprise that it's louder........ :) There is some interplay and back pressure that "kills' the noise in a muffler. Without the "proper" amount of exhaust gasses, you may get little muffling, or an excessive amount, who knows..... :D
OK, it's louder, do you like the sound level and the tone?

·
Registered
SLK AMG 32
18 Posts
Are there any headers that work with the factory 32 exhaust? I don't really want to mess with swapping the whole setup but would be interested in some extra power and maybe better sound from some headers!

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
As far as we've been able to determine, there are NO real headers that work much better then the stock set up.
I think Kleemann has something, but the cost and work aren't worth the effort. That part has pretty much been proven with the 230K set up. I haven't heard of much from the C32 guys on this, you might want to ask them. 430 mat have done some work on this as well, but agian not all that much heard form him.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bruce R. said:
It's not a surprise that it's louder........ :) There is some interplay and back pressure that "kills' the noise in a muffler. Without the "proper" amount of exhaust gasses, you may get little muffling, or an excessive amount, who knows..... :D
OK, it's louder, do you like the sound level and the tone?
The sound is not terribly loud but there has to be something that can be done to make it quieter...basically what they did was cut the my old muffler off without completely removing the whole exhaust system and then they just welded the AMG exhaust on...should I have gotten them to replace the whole exhaust pipe ?

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
No too much can be done after the fact. As I mentioned, the 230 engine has a VERY loud and nasty note, so it's not that easy to get to a decent sound tone and level. On the bright side you will probably get used to it, and the twin pipes should look good................ :)
Replacing the entire pipe would likely not change much, sound or volume wise...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bruce R. said:
No too much can be done after the fact. As I mentioned, the 230 engine has a VERY loud and nasty note, so it's not that easy to get to a decent sound tone and level. On the bright side you will probably get used to it, and the twin pipes should look good................ :)
Replacing the entire pipe would likely not change much, sound or volume wise...
Thanks for all the info on this...the dual pipes look awesome :thumbsup: they give the SLK an aggressive look....:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts