Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
UNIMOG
1,036 Posts
Weird...wonder why they are selling the engine? I'll shoot an E-Mail to the seller to see if I can prod some information out of him.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I may have some ideas...the curious cars dot aka mercedes expert dot com sellers arent't the most reliable. I had a run in with them before and they weren't the friendliest (R O B HoBfouer) nor knew much about their cars accuracy. It looked good in pictures...like the saying "Monet" looks good from far but up close...big mess.

Hence why they say on their listings??:
FYI: It is recommended that all used vehicles be shipped, as a simple local problem like a hose or a belt failure can become a difficult issue on a rural stretch of highway.

Maybe something went wrong...Why would anyone want to seperate a car like this if it was the real thing?

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
Maybe the car was totaled?

·
Premium Member
UNIMOG
1,036 Posts
You'd think he would make an effort to part out the rest of the car though, not just engine & tranny.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
500SL AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,225 Posts

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
I checked our Mercmasters 500sl, spent a long time looking at it on EBay - anyway, contacted the owner (or owners friend, whichever) and he confirmed to me that it did not have the AMG engine mods, but possibly the exhaust, along with the Recaros, BBS, lowering and spoliers; Softop needed replacing...other issues...

Still looks great in my humble opinion, but not worth the 10K spent (also in my opinion)...spent a long time looking at it though and nearly made an offer...

Anyway, someone bought it before Mermaster on eBay for $7,500 and went to inspect it to find the above. He then rejected it. I emailed him when it relisted and he confirmed the above...Good project car though, love those Recaros and BBS's...

I'm digressing - I also made inquiries for other Florida one too, the one with the engine for sale, and they were very cagey about the engine being a modified AMG so I passed on it. My guess is that it's a regular engine and they are switching the engine out to something more powerful...

·
Registered
1983 380SL 1983 380SEL Euro 1980 300TD Euro 1995 E300D
96 Posts
I looked at the one with the BBS wheels when it was for sale a while back when I was looking for a good 107. It had some amg goodies and the wheels but I already had a nice set of BBS wheels. Overall I was not impressed with the condition of the car. I wanted a euro but if I was going euro I wanted a 5 speed. I ran across a 380 with 36000 miles, org. paint in outstanding condition. I just had to replace the fuel tank this week from it sitting so much but I am happy with it. I am still going to find a euro 5 speed one day but the 36000 mile car was hard to pass up. And I got it cheaper than what the 500 went for the first time. I think that car was over priced then and its waaay over priced now. Just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have a hard time passing the 380 as well. Excellent find there!

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
hey RJM, when you gonna do an formal intro of the SE with pics you got from Aamer - it has my original wheels off my black car! And I got the Pentas from your car (restored/painted) - I think your car came w/ basketweaves as well?

Whats the story about the engine/drivetrain mods on it - AMG LSD ratio or American rear end like the PO said?

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
hey RJM, when you gonna do an formal intro of the SE with pics you got from Aamer - it has my original wheels off my black car! And I got the Pentas from your car (restored/painted) - I think your car came w/ basketweaves as well?

Whats the story about the engine/drivetrain mods on it - AMG LSD ratio or American rear end like the PO said?
ha - I figured I would get it cleaned up first before posting pics - just stripped out all the wood for restoration: had sat in Arizona and LA for some time, everything inside had melted...

Picked it up and only 6 cylinders were firing - tracked it down to the fuel distributor, now purrs like a kitten until you press down on the throttle...wheel spins from go. Havn't checked the rear-dif yet, not sure about the engine mods; it's with my mechanic at the moment.

Here's a pic - I will probably do a full respray - same color - in the next week or so

Not sure about the basket weaves; how are you enjoying those Pentas?

Attachments

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
Since you guys seem to know the history of SL's on ebay, anyone recognize this one?

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
(crapping in pants)....if that was a real AMG he's chevy-izing....

MOB RIOT, MOB RIOT!

At least you can create such a scenario in Sims/Lemmings-based games :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
LOL funny how you went in for the kill and asked!! There should be AMG stamped in the head/block towards the back hmm I think...Got a brain fart just thinking of this. Along with Polished Air cleaner and covers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts