Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum. Got a quick question: from what I remember AMG is still building these engines, meaning it must be possible to customize the car.<br>
<br>
My question: I have an SL55 on order. Will it be possible to request AMG tuning changes to the car? I'd much rather AMG remapped the ECU / took the appropriate measures than some after market outfit.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
--Dan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Well, I called my dealership and they confirmed that AMG should be able to do the mods, however it will take more investigation. The dealer didn't sound...surprised. Which is a bit worrisome, actually, as they generally don't know much. <br>
<br>
Any thoughts?<br>
<br>
--Dan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Update

Dan, <br> <br> What exactly are you trying to customize? I have my SL55 coming in late August and I put in a request to have the limiter taken out but I know it is not going to be easy (I am in the US). <br> <br> I have been told that each engine is hand built - actually there is supposed to be an individuals 'name/code #' etched into each engine that is produced so I would imagine that they can be customized but would still have to adhere to certain restrictions (for a US delivery). Also, since all of the cars go through various emissions testing and depending on the state you live in, there are different parameters.<br> <br> Not sure I helped answer the question...but be more specific as to what you may want done and I can inquire through my dealer as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Steven,<br> <br> thanks for the speedy response. Basically, I want them to tune the engine to ~600bhp (I figure you can get about 50 just from ECU remapping), as well as remove ALL of the limiters including the infamous 'black box.'<br> <br> I live in California, but I doubt there will be problems. In all honesty, I'd much rather that AMG tune the engine than Renntech. Makes sense to me, as they built it.<br> <br> --Dan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Agreed about having AMG handle it as opposed to Renntech.<br> <br> I have asked to remove all of the limiters but who knows if it will actually happen. My suggestion would be to get your ID # for the car you have on order, call AMG Direct and see if you can get it done that way. While a dealer may tell you everything under the sun, in the end I believe you will have to test it to make 100% sure. <br> <br> What other limiters are you referring to other than the Speed Limiter? I am aware of the 'black box' but to be honest, I dont know all of its functionality.<br> <br> <br> If you have specific questions, jot them down on here and I will see what I can find out. My uncle owns the dealership I am getting mine from so hopefully I can get you some answers.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Steven: thanks. If possible I would like to continue via email, mine is [email protected] I will get the details and also see if I can find out what limiters function as what. As I understand it, there is the governer set to 155, another one set to 186, and then the actual black box of which functionality is little know.<br> <br> --Dan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I AM PICKING UP MY SL55AMG ON NOV. 4. 02 IN SINDELFINGEN FOR SHIPPMENT TO USA. CAN YOU PLEASE KEEP ME IN THE LOOP ON INFORMATION HOW TO GET THE TOP SPEED LIMITERS REMOVED PRIOR TO SENDING CAR TO THE USA. THANKS

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And if they do that, remove the limiters and all, just what sort of warranty are you expecting, not just for the engine but also for the rest of the car? Everything I hear is that AMG are completely overrun with demand and I would have thought it unlikely you'd get changes with an MB factory warranty for the price you might be prepared to pay

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprisingly, it turns out that a friend has a very good connection there. They said they will be willing to do the work with a warranty, and will actually ship the car early to me so I can have it ready for the next gumball. No claims on power yet aside from 'over 600 bhp.' No idea about cost yet either.<br> <br> I'm not complaining, though! ;) <br> <br> --Dan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am currently driving a Renntech tuned SL55 in the states. It is making about 575hp and 600 pounds of torque. What a blast. Renntech converted the 500 to the state it is in now. Expensive, but worth the money! I have also done a limited slip diff, brakes, changed the final drive ratio, and put the monster 19 x 11 renntech wheels on the rear. Small body changes like a rear decklid spoiler, and front lip spoiler. Still looks classy, and sounds awsome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts