Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
Cool video

The video was cool. Do they rank you at the end of the session?

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, For insurance reasons it not timed its not a race.. U just have personal repore and the happy feeling that you didnt end up in a smouldering wreck when you drive off the track

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Just finished watching the vid, there were a couple of e36 M3's that looked pretty fast. I enjoyed it, thanks...

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep some very fun race cars. To be honest in the advanced group you would be lucky to find an untouched car(apart from the AMG obviously) a lot of the cars were completely stripped and raced up. That swhy I love the AMG when you can just drive off the road and go similar laps with what are pretty much race prepped cars. ok your sliding around a lot more with road tyres, but that just makes it all a little more fun. ;)

·
Registered
SLK55
43 Posts
Thanks Easty -

The video was great. I have watched it twice and hope to watch it again as time permits. It was great to see the lines you chose when you went through the course and I thought it was very helpful. My only experience on a track has been in an AMG challenge and I am not sure when I would feel ready to race my own vehicle. (I am still nervous about the liability and insurance issues, although your response was encouraging.)

Good luck on your future track events and please continue to share any detail you want with the group. Some of us (especially the novices) really appreciate the information.

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Padd, I've been trying to get more video's online. that was just the first session of 4 that I recorded. But I cannot seem to get things onto google video anymore. And at 60MB my home website cannot manage them. The car is heavy, but if you can get the ESP off and use that tourqe it really bites and drives you on a line that just isn't possible by coasting. Also tyres make a huge difference on those early sessions I really struggled until I figured good pressure settings out. I miss the next track session because I'm back in Europe, but hopefully in june I can get some more time in. It really is the most fun and it's great to be using the car for what it was designed for. It's still not like racing sportsbike's, but getting close.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Great Vid Easty!

·
Registered
'06 SLK55 AMG w/030, '07 ML350
46 Posts
Very cool video, I enjoyed it a lot. If you don't mind me asking what tires are you running and what have you found to be good pressures?

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I going with the cheapest track/road tyres I could find. The ES100 YokoMama's.
I had the pressure down to 32 all round. But would have liked to try a little lower. SOme points I had to ease off a little as the tyes got too hot and very greasy.

I'd love to try PS2's but don't really wanna spend 1000$ on tyres that will last 4000miles

·
Registered
2006 SLK 55 AMG
132 Posts
Easty: Great video. How did you record this? It is great to follow the camera (I'm assuming your head) action in the turns. I had it playing on my large monitor with the volume up but my wife said the wind noise was obnoxious so I listened to the rest with headphones. That made the experience even more realistic. I only had audio on the left channel. Is that correct?

Please post more!!

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's recorded with a helmet camera. See www.helmetcamera.com. I originally bought it a couple of years ago for recording some sportsbike footage. It's very difficult to get rid of the wind noise I'm afraid. I had the mic clipped to the gear stick away from the windows and still got some. Yes the audio is mono, guess I could save it in stereo, but it may take up more room. I'll add more maybe next week. Away from the US at the moment where all my stuff is located. thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
113 Posts
Great video, I love the sound of that AMG engine.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
easty, great vid. We can use the wind noise as a speed indicator, if you tell us the calibration! What was the top speeds you were hitting in the straights?

On the wind noise, try wrapping a piece of foamrubber (packing material) or even just a household sponge around the mike. Should act as a cheap windscreen/windfilter.

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not really a fast track like TWS in the previous videos I posted. The main straight coming out of the long left hand bend is probably about 110mph before breaking to 20mph for the shrap right left right. The main fast run is after a real sharp left then it winds gently where I again get upto about 90mph. It funny but when on a track RPM becomes far more important than Speed. If the bike had a speedo on I used to tape it over so I could only see the revs.

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
More Video for your guys 'n gals.

Last weekend I was at the texas world speed way circuit in college station north of houston. A was very hot but this didn't spoil all the fun we had.

Here's a video of a few laps in the SLK 55.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1546341212668093227&[email protected]

Enjoy, Brian

P.s. I know I'm number 129 again.. but I couldn't fidn the original thread.. so 99 is the other event.. I know you guys love to point out the
obvious. So I'll cover it before you do. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts