Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is whirring pump noise coming from the trunk area for 1 minute 30 seconds every time I start the car. The exact same noise occurs for several seconds if I turn the key all the way but do not start the engine.

I previously thought it was the PSE pump, but confirmed that it was not.

The 55/65 cars have a different fuel tank with an internal pump that is in addition to the external pump that all R230 models have. I have deducted that the noise must be this pump because there is nothing else back there that could be running and if it was the main fuel pump, it would never stop while the engine is running.

So, my question to other 55/65 owners is, can you hear this pump when you start the car and do you hear it stop after 1 minute 30 seconds?

I’m concerned this pump is louder than it’s supposed to be and it appears that replacement of the gas tank is necessary if it fails. I just bought this car and have two more days to return it to the dealer if I want. This would be a deal breaker for me, so any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
82 Posts
Take it back! If this is a deal breaker for you, you bought the wrong car. Buying an old German luxury car almost guarantees expensive future maintenance and repair bills.

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
82 Posts
OK then
My 2003 SL55 makes lots of strange noises, but none that last that long. My trunk release unit was leaking and made the air pump run overly long until I sealed up the unit with epoxy. How did you determine it wasn't that?
My old Bronco fuel pump was so loud you could hear it across the street, but it ran that way for years.
Perhaps you should just live with it until something else goes wrong and get it looked at then.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG, 2006 E500
1,027 Posts
FWIW, I just picked up my car from my trusted indy, having the high pressure suspension line replaced. One of the comments that I found odd was his statement "the noise from the fuel pump is loud, but then I remembered it was this car. I don't drive the SL55 that much. These are solid cars so I don't fix too often. It's good. You go now. I go fish crab".

Maybe I just got used to it or never noticed it?

·
Registered
2003 SL55 AMG, 1994 Porsche 928 GTS, 2007 Audi A8, 1990 MB 560 SEC
340 Posts
IF your fuel pump is noisy, I highly recommend having it replaced. Mine was occaionally making some noise about 2 years ago, THEN, it failed me on an interestate highway while I was driving in the 3rd from right lane. Two miniscule 'surges', then engine stopped completely at 70 mph. Only pure luck allowed me to get through the traffic in the two right lanes to the shoulder just as the car stopped moving. Scary 10 seconds and a long wait for a rollback. $1500 plus at dealers for R/R. Indy would have been cheaper I'm sure, but not an option considering the circumstances.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts