Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6332&item=4529235691&rd=1

Found this car on ebay check it out its a AMG 500SEL

what do y'll think?? real? fake??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd say fake, but very nicely done. If the pics are any indication of the actual car, I'd say the restoration cost far in excess of the opening bid. The seller has an unrealistic expectation of the car's sales value. Really nice car, though.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
That is the first time I have ever seen zebrano wood in a 500, I thought that burlwood came standard. And what is with those gauges, they look horrible!!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
The chrome engine bits and the plastic crap on the wiring looks worse then I thought possible. That aside, I've never seen red AMG gauges before but the rest of it looks interesting. I don't know about that top speed clain, it would take some a very low diff (thus negating the 0-60 time) and a seriously tweaked engine...

I'd like to see documentaion of the car as well as the AMG tags etc...

Jonathan

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
i guess if your looking for originality of a 84' AMG car this looks pretty nice. it has all the correct exterior AMG products ncluding the rear trunk lid that i am currently looking for. the entire car is de-chromed pretty well too. the claims are questionable though.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
Well, the AMG badge seems authentic. [8D]

I really hate the gauges. Regardless if it's a genuine AMG or not, it's still a nice car in decent shape.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
JR_Rider - 2/20/2005 5:41 PM

That is the first time I have ever seen zebrano wood in a 500, I thought that burlwood came standard.
That is odd – I’m assuming from the cloth seats, VIN, and lamp wipers the car’s European market; was the walnut trim an ‘option’ in Europe?

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Wow! he's got the same alarm, stereo, similar phone, and same bodykit as when i got my car!

Maybe the 183 and 5.4 estimates are right! 183 kph, and 0-60 kmh. probably doesn't realize he has a euro car...hahahah

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
Whats "fake" about this car? I have no idea why you people jump into conclusion that its a "fake"? It has correct parts that makes it an AMG tuned car. You can't tell if the engine has been tuned by the pictures.. I can tell its not a 4-valve engine, thata about it. A 6.0 dohc is not the sole reason what makes a car AMG.[8)]

The car looks to be in great shape and clean... the same can't be said about some of the members' cars, yet instead of hearing praises, just negative remarks about the car. Jealousy?[8)]

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Turbo Technics Twin Turbo
261 Posts
The car has all the right AMG bodykit, wheels etc and is very similar to a 126 I saw last year in the UK. The only thing I can't get on with are those red dials (not nice). I'll try and attach a photo of that car, which coincidentally had a 5.0 fitted with AMG Quad Cam heads (320bhp)

I think the thing to remember with AMG is that a customer could ask AMG to spec the car to his or her requirements and that they could very much have anything they wanted fitted. A lot of people went for the bodykits, suspension, wheels and then left the engine and interiors pretty much standard.

The only down side to this advert is the owners performance claims....they are very optomistic, seeing as this is an M117 engine with standard Benz heads (they may have AMG Cams?) Even if its been bored out it will never hit those figures.

An AMG Hammer with a 6.0 Quad cam engine putting out 380bhp hits 0-60 in 5.0 and tops out at 186, so to claim that this bigger, less aerodynamic and heavier 126 with standard Benz heads does it in 5.3 and hits 183 is just not true.

Saying all of that, the rest of the car looks in good condition and yes in Europe, leather was extra and Zebrano was standard on a lot of cars.

My AMG 124 has Zebrano.

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
mjtray - 2/21/2005 6:01 AM

The car has all the right AMG bodykit, wheels etc and is very similar to a 126 I saw last year in the UK. The only thing I can't get on with are those red dials (not nice). I'll try and attach a photo of that car, which coincidentally had a 5.0 fitted with AMG Quad Cam heads (320bhp)

I think the thing to remember with AMG is that a customer could ask AMG to spec the car to his or her requirements and that they could very much have anything they wanted fitted. A lot of people went for the bodykits, suspension, wheels and then left the engine and interiors pretty much standard.

The only down side to this advert is the owners performance claims....they are very optomistic, seeing as this is an M117 engine with standard Benz heads (they may have AMG Cams?) Even if its been bored out it will never hit those figures.

An AMG Hammer with a 6.0 Quad cam engine putting out 380bhp hits 0-60 in 5.0 and tops out at 186, so to claim that this bigger, less aerodynamic and heavier 126 with standard Benz heads does it in 5.3 and hits 183 is just not true.

Saying all of that, the rest of the car looks in good condition and yes in Europe, leather was extra and Zebrano was standard on a lot of cars.

My AMG 124 has Zebrano.
I agree with the above statement 100%.

Also, I've seen 500SE (1990) with ZEBRANO wood, with ASR. So what the norm in the US is not the norm abroad. Just because it has Zebrano is not a sign that its not "AMG". The engine is not what makes it an AMG... eventhough its the "holy grail" of the AMG modifications. I've got a 1983 issue of "Auto motor und sport" where it shows a 500SEL AMG with all the accessories and price list. Each thing can be picked out by the customer. Even a 5 speed transmission was available.

The red dials don't really suite the car (in color).. but it appears to be the exact same dials in one of our memeber's AMG with red interior.

I congratulate the person for doing the restoration in the car... as it looks to be physically "like new". However, I don't think he will get what he's asking for, especially if his starting bid is $15,000 and has a reserve price.

Only thing I see "wrong" in the pictures is the headlight wipers are put on wrong. This was probably put on by a person not familiar with the differences in euro wipers.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
we seek the truth!

i don't believe anyone here is jealous. most benzes on this board are of equal or better condition. any ad describing a benz is going to be scrutinized here because it is fun and most importantly informative. i find the opinions here are a great service especially when mis-representation is apparent.

"first AMG Mercedes built" - AMG has been around since the 60s
"Top speed is rated 183MPH with 0-60MPH in 5.4 Seconds" - unlikely with its current setup
"engine completely detailed in chrome" - 2 valve covers and a power steering cap
"New windshield" - ?
"side airbags" - ?

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
FRYFAR - 2/21/2005 3:39 PM

lol, well i just want the damn steering wheel would look good in my 420....
steering wheel is not AMG.. its made by MOMO, eventhough they did make steering wheels for the 1986+ tuned cars.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just change the guage to white, throw some clear corners, clear taillights like mine and i'll be set with that car i love it not my fav color but i think its beautiful!

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
When I was living in Los Angeles, I remember Beverly HIlls Motoring Accessories owner Andy Cohan broght the AMG shop to Beverly Hills accross from his store. They did the modifications whatever customers wanted from body kits to engine modification. In fact the first red Hammer the 500E AMG was his, I think.

·
Registered
500 SEL Lorinser
40 Posts
not to sure about front air dam, i have an amg air dam from a euro SEL (with all the AMG part numbers still on it) and it looks nothing like the one on the car. it maybe an eribumi aftermarket one? i wouldn't touch this car.

pete

·
Registered
500 SEL Lorinser
40 Posts
the dails in the dash are probably new, you can buy sets on ebay in any color, and the company will print AMG, Lorinser, or anything else you want on them.

Pete

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
not to sure about front air dam, i have an amg air dam from a euro SEL (with all the AMG part numbers still on it) and it looks nothing like the one on the car. it maybe an eribumi aftermarket one? i wouldn't touch this car.
I think you're looking at the picture that someone attached after their reply post. It was the same color car, but with a Koenig bumper. This car appears to have correct front bumper with AMG logo stamped in the center. Obviously the performance figures are quoted for a 4v car. This car would have no more than 276hp if it is a 5.0, and 315hp or so if its a 5.4. Looks like the chrome valve cover job would've done away with any AMG labels to tell what the engine is if it has been modified.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with my more knowledgable members here; as it looks genuine to me. But what do I know?
[:)]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts