Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of two I just got. NOS never mounted 17x10. Stunning. Simply the most beautiful wheel MBZ has ever produced. Surprised OZ was still making them through at least 2002.

Have two fronts and one other rear that need refinishing. Now, I just need an SEC again to mount them on....

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Nice and they are cool, word of warning though, always insist (if you are not installing the wheels yourself) that the nuts are torqued up to the proper rating, the centers (and wheels as a whole) are light units therefore the centers are weak and cracking is common around the lug bores with these wheels when people use air guns etc.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice and they are cool, word of warning though, always insist (if you are not installing the wheels yourself) that the nuts are torqued up to the proper rating, the centers (and wheels as a whole) are light units therefore the centers are weak and cracking is common around the lug bores with these wheels when people use air guns etc.
good quote , i never let a airgun near my car , i have learnt a lot since some Muppet , put my new aero 1s on my car with Toyota nuts , 5 threats was ruined , 2 wheel nuts fell out , before i found out what the garage , (so called) had done ,
anyway good luck with your wheels , they are beautiful

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,264 Posts
Beautiful, what a rare find.
Where did you find them, inquiring minds would like to know?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Guy in NJ (he is selling the mixed set of chrome ones on Ebay now). Paid $1,000 (including shipping) for the two. I also bought that fully restored set from Germany that was on Ebay several days ago. One set for my wife's R129 and one set for a future 90/91 SEC. Debating whether to send the front's and these two rears together now or if/when I get another SEC to have the centers painted body color. Don't want to pay twice for refinishing.

Thinking about the 2002 date code, since these wheels were specifically designed for the R129, perhaps OZ made them until the end of the R129 model. Just a thought. I hope the alloy used in 2002 was better than the earlier alloy and will not be as prone to cracks. They are light and I will always hand torque the wheels. No gorilla guns for these babies.

Anyone had their centers powder coated as opposed to paint? Also, would clear powder coat be better than normal clear for durability of the clear? Seems tightening the rim bolts would possibly mess up the rim clear.

Al

·
9,038 Posts
Beautiful wheels!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just so you know, the inner wheel piece has been replaced with a new one. Those wheels were last produced in 1994/1995.

The 2002 piece you have is for the inner piece that is compatilble with a number of OZ Racing wheels. If you were to damage those, then you're still able to repair them without much problems. However, if you find cracks between the lug holes of the face... then you're out of luck:(

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Those wheels are so stunning that I saved the picture from the original ad to my "wish list" picture folder when I mentioned the ad here several weeks ago. Good job on buying them!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Those wheels are so stunning that I saved the picture from the original ad to my "wish list" picture folder when I mentioned the ad here several weeks ago. Good job on buying them!
I want those original AMG centercaps. :)

Flat, unadorned and painted white they'll fit my 3-piece rims perfectly.

Any leads on where those can be found will be much appreciated. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snibble - not sure I agree with your statement about these wheels ending in 94/95 and that my inner piece was added to an older center. Each center section has a date of manufacture stamp (year along with month dots) shown below. This wheel indicates the center was made in Sept 2001 - just before the April 2002 sticker. I also checked my other 3 piece wheels and the center manufacture stamp is consistent with the sticker on the inner wheel piece - see the stamp from my 1994 wheel.

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And, no the manufacture stamp on my new wheel doesn't represent 1991 as opposed to 2001. Below is a stamp from one of my 1992 wheels sporting a Nov 1991 stamp that is completely different than the later stamps.

Al

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
And, no the manufacture stamp on my new wheel doesn't represent 1991 as opposed to 2001. Below is a stamp from one of my 1992 wheels sporting a Nov 1991 stamp that is completely different than the later stamps.

Al
That's interesting.

And your wheels are "AMG", and not "/////AMG".

I'll check mine and see what I'll find.

My sample size is 6; 4 good ones and two cracked. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Correct - no ///AMG - the original AMG in old school block letters - see below. My available inventory is 6 - four rears and two fronts. My two fronts are from 1992, the rears are 1994, 1998, 2002, 2002. The 1998 wheel has a 98 manufacture stamp on the center piece.

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps we can start a log of weak alloy years. My cracked rear is the 1994 manufactured wheel. If there is a trend, we can, as a group, know what years to avoid when buying used wheels.

Al

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I want those original AMG centercaps. :)

Flat, unadorned and painted white they'll fit my 3-piece rims perfectly.

Any leads on where those can be found will be much appreciated. :bowdown:
Hey Axel, the best I can do is this craigslist ad for more 3 pc. AMG from the same seller in NJ. His number is posted in the ad. Maybe if you give him a call he will still have the caps.

Greg
MERCEDES ORIGINAL AMG 17 INCH 3PC RIMS / TIRES MINT LIKE NEW

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$2495.. yikes!

Looks like he had the MB caps on them not the originals.
If the tires are new = at least $800-$1000, leaving $1,500 - $1,700 for the wheels, which, if they have no cracks and don't need restoration is reasonable. These wheels cost $250 or so each to restore properly.

Al

1 - 20 of 21 Posts