Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tinted my window in my 2002 C-240. I have lost my AM radio signal but the FM is completely fine. If anyone has had this problem, please let me know what you had done to resolve this issue.<br> Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Assuming that the tinted material applied is conductive, and some are, the only solution is to remove the tint from the rear window or at least the top portion. Check with the manufacturer. The AM antenna IS the top few horizontal lines on the rear window, which look just like the rear defogger lines. Turn on the defogger and feel which lines do not get hot. The conductive tint would also affect the FM; it just may not be noticeable. It is also possible that the installer cut one of the AM antenna lines while cutting the tinted film. Carefully inspect all of the lines, especially at the edges where the film was cut. If you spot a break, test it by bridging over it. Keep in mind that there are some deliberate short (2mm) breaks in the antenna lines. You can get a conductive ink rear defogger repair kit at an auto parts store. Don't try to solder it! Good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember that an antenna must be at least a significant fraction of a wavelength of the broadcasting station in order to function properly, and the AM band has MUCH long wavelengths than the FM band does. Six inches of antenna is perfectly acceptable for FM reception, as a typical FM wavelength is only 3 to 4 metres in length, six inches is one eighteenth of the wavelength-- as opposed to one thirty-four hundredth of a low-end AM signal, which is 545 metres long!<br> <br> ...And listen to everything Chuck V said on this question. As an electronic engineer myself, I can assure you, his advice was right on the money!<br> <br> Good Luck,<br> Rex

·
Registered
2 Posts
The other replie about tint is correct, if you used limo tint there is conductive material used to darken the tint. The best thing is to go down to dark shade if you used limo or if like in my case the tint guy got my antenna amp wet which happens to be near the window. If you have them remove the tint and your reception is fine on am then put back a tint that has no metal in it, if it still does not work after removal then take your car in for waranty with no tint on the back window and start again.

good luck

·
Registered
Mercedes 180C Classic
4 Posts
I had the sasme probelm and have just removed the top portion of my tint. It has improved the signal significantly although not to a level that I would call anywhere near perfect but it is possible to listen to it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts