Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1981 240D -297,000 miles
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i last changed my oil, i filled it up til it got to the top groove on the dipstick. My engine stinks when i drive, like burning oil. The engine gulps oil but it hasnt got down past the second groove. Also NOW when i check the oil, when the engine is on, the oil is a little past the top groove, and when i turn the engine off, it goes down between the grooves closer to the bottom one. what am i doing wrong? :eek:

· Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
checking the oil while running for one. taboo, inaccurate. check oil with engine off and after a few minutes. i like to check mine before a days run after sitting all nite. i think it takes 8 qts for these engines counting for the filter of course. i do not know what to tell you about the burping oil stuff. need more info.

· Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,164 Posts
Check it with the engine off, but warmed up. When the engine is cold, the oil should be half a centimeter above the top mark. When it warms up, it will be right on the maximum mark, just perfect.

· Registered
300SD
11,263 Posts
Some diesel engines are strange. I have a 6x6 Army truck and the correct oil level with the cold engine is about 1 inch above the full mark on the dipstick. With the warm engine, the oil level on the dipstick will drop about 1.5 inches. of course this is a fairly large 7.5 liter diesel engine with 22 quart oil capacity.

· Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,164 Posts
Did you check the oil with the engine on right after starting it? The high pressure may be contributing to it being too high...?

Either way you should check it with the engine OFF, but the temperature is at operational temp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.