Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W220 S500 (08/99 build)
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have very rarely seen this color for a W140 anywhere! Just recently, however, I saw a guy in my town have the EXACT same color S420 while filling up at the gas station. Too bad I was with my sister in her W210 so I didn't have time to talk to the guy. His was in better condition than mine, cosmetically though. D:
Let me see yours if you have it in the same color! I get excited seeing other W140s in green. :D

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Hellah, I believe yours is a later model with monotone paint that is a different shade of green. I think it should be aspen green like my 1997 S600. The OP's earlier model, I believe, is called spruce green (or someone can correct me on that). Nevertheless, any green is one of the less common colors on the W140. Much more common on the W124.

Brett

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I haven't seen it around much. What are your thoughts on it? like it? hate it? haha

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
I can't say I'm a fan, once you veer off the 'normal' colors, like black, silver, dark grey, navy, colors that will stand the test of time, you make any car look dated.

I recall several popular Mercedes colors of the 70's that look positively puke-worthy today. There was this brown color that was the color of, well, it was awful looking then, hideous today. Green is the less offensive of the 'off-colors', but it is still out of the mainstream and, in my view, an inappropriate color.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I prefer the 'dated' look. It's why I bought an old car. The PO painted the bumpers and cladding on my 600SEL to match the rest of the body. Looks like a big, dark grey slab. (Really should change my avatar pic). I'd like to revert it back to two-tone, or even change the colour. I really like the white over light grey when it's new and shiny. Tends to look really shabby when let go.

I almost bought a '94 S320 that was Rose, as in the wine. A sort of light metallic pink. Couldn't get the money together, unfortunately. It was a really nice car. I've seen pictures of a purplish colour, too, that I really like. I find the more period specific colours (i.e. slightly weird) to be quite attractive.

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
I almost bought a S320 in that color.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've really been trying to get myself to decide if I like the older two-tone look or not, but now that I really think about it, the two-tone look grows on me. It's pretty great, cuz most people at school that get these brand new Honda Civics and stuff think my car suck and is really old...till I blow past em down the road. Hahaha.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I've really been trying to get myself to decide if I like the older two-tone look or not, but now that I really think about it, the two-tone look grows on me. It's pretty great, cuz most people at school that get these brand new Honda Civics and stuff think my car suck and is really old...till I blow past em down the road. Hahaha.
They're right, your car is pretty old.

At some point, you have to decide whether you are old school or not with regard to colors. Me personally, I dislike black and silver because they are boring, and 9 of 10 cars today is either black or some shade between silver and "champagne" metallic. Some people won't buy a car unless it is black or silver. I say, blah. I typically like a little color splash on my vehicles, although on the other hand, I generally do like white. I personally applaud the colors of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, baby turd yellows, puke browns, and strained-pea greens included. At least there was visual stimulation that garnered a response. My 1978 911 is orange with an orange interior. If you like it, be proud of it. Express yourself.

Brett

·
Registered
1995 Mercede-Benz S500
1,175 Posts
I do find it boring that people only will buy cars if its black or white etc. I love the 2 tone on my silver one. But the new green color... its nice but the way i want to setup my car to look aggressive just isnt going to work. I will repaint it next year.

Hellah, I believe yours is a later model with monotone paint that is a different shade of green. I think it should be aspen green like my 1997 S600. The OP's earlier model, I believe, is called spruce green (or someone can correct me on that). Nevertheless, any green is one of the less common colors on the W140. Much more common on the W124.

Brett
oh i see there I didnt realize that lol.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
But the new green color... its nice but the way i want to setup my car to look aggressive just isnt going to work. I will repaint it next year.
Yeah a dark metallic green isn't necessarily an aggressive color, although I will point out Steve McQueen's Bullit Mustang was a dark metallic green, and that's a pretty bad ass car. Not necessarily for the car itself, but because McQueen was driving it. :)

Brett

·
Registered
1995 Mercede-Benz S500
1,175 Posts
Dont get me wrong.. that green is nice. i can imagine if i buffed it down and detailed it a little the green will look amazing. Other then modifying the car.. that green isnt it lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do find it boring that people only will buy cars if its black or white etc. I love the 2 tone on my silver one. But the new green color... its nice but the way i want to setup my car to look aggressive just isnt going to work. I will repaint it next year.
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting some lowering springs for the S420, some AMG Monoblocks, and maybe some clear corners too, but not really quite sure how well it's going to look on the green color..any thoughts?

·
Registered
'97 S500 w/ Nappa "Leather Exclusive"
196 Posts
I personally applaud the colors of the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

Brett, I totally agree, but you missed the fabulous '50's, dude-!

I'm a 1955-'57 Thunderbird nut, and the period colours are a big part of what the love is all about (as well as "E" & "F" code engines on the '57's)-!

Feast yer orbs, Colour Fans:
Amos Minter's Thunderbirds

...and, enjoy your Periods, brothers ;-)

Love the Green-Machines /
Unshaven

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely left that out. I love the T-bird colors. Wow what an operation over at Amos Minter's. Thanks for letting me dream. I'd love a T-bird restoration project.

Brett

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
They're right, your car is pretty old.

At some point, you have to decide whether you are old school or not with regard to colors. Me personally, I dislike black and silver because they are boring, and 9 of 10 cars today is either black or some shade between silver and "champagne" metallic. Some people won't buy a car unless it is black or silver. I say, blah. I typically like a little color splash on my vehicles, although on the other hand, I generally do like white. I personally applaud the colors of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, baby turd yellows, puke browns, and strained-pea greens included. At least there was visual stimulation that garnered a response. My 1978 911 is orange with an orange interior. If you like it, be proud of it. Express yourself.

Brett
Brett I am totally LOL at your post because both my 140s are black and silver hahahahhahahaha. Thanks for giving me a smile my friend :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts