Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a euro motors mechanic today who deals with benz and 126s alot. I have that clunking/knock sound on the left driver side when u make a right turn and pressure is applied to that side of the vehicle it will clunk.

He looked at the car on the hoist and basically said "change this part + that part + that part and said its unsafe to drive at this point...gave me a story that the wheel might fly off and the bearings are shot too...when this is hard to beleive as the car is silent and drives perfectly except for this clunk.

When my father heard about it he said the guy doesnt know what hes talking about.

Is there any incidents with wheels flying off 126s?? I mean sure the parts are worn already but driving the car one could not tell except for the clunk.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he didnt mention those. Although one thing....when the car was on the hoist and u shake the wheel or try to turn it with ur hand it does have touch of play.

·
Registered
85' 500sel
423 Posts
BallJoints ?

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Marko,
I am not sure about the wheel thing but as for that clunking/knock sound it might be balljoints mine are going I need to get the replaced. The squeak like crazy. I also have this peculiar noice when the kickdown engauges, it souns like something drops down and clunks in the back axle (or that area) Ideas?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Clunking noises on kickdown are usually bad/loose motor mounts.

As for suspension on the w126, I think it's worth renewing many of the bushings on the anti-roll bar, upper control arms etc.

The clunking noise may be coming from a cracked upper control arm, bad bushings, suspension bearing bracket (common and expensive), or even a cracked spring.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right now im just worried about their comment of the car being kind of unsafe to drive and to get it fixed ASAP.

Sure...money grows on trees in their world.

Im getting a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
talbir - 5/16/2005 1:39 PM

Clunking noises on kickdown are usually bad/loose motor mounts.

As for suspension on the w126, I think it's worth renewing many of the bushings on the anti-roll bar, upper control arms etc.

The clunking noise may be coming from a cracked upper control arm, bad bushings, suspension bearing bracket (common and expensive), or even a cracked spring.
None of these guys want to hear this. The truth is that virtually every 126 needs new suspension repolacement, motor mounts, flex discs, ball joints, tie rod ends - you name it. Don't bother, doesn't look as cool as new rims or flowmasters that make a MB sound like a hopped up Chevy. You're not getting milked, your car needs maintainance that can't be shown off.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
The 'second opinion' is absolutely the right route --- I've got horror stories of the THE DEALERSHIP IN NEW JERSEY that I'm still suppressing.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Oh, and by the way, try to figure out a subtle way of asking for all the damaged parts that they're going to replace, and the packaging for the new parts. I remember that look that some MB owners put on when they go in for repairs "that they have so much money and so little time that they don't care how much it costs!" The dealership/mechanics depend on that to truly milk you dry.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well im paying for this myself...being 22...if I had $1800 sitting around now i'll probably give them it to do it all.

Another note: this shop had a w126 in last week with the same problem...they said it was the reaction bushing which they said the first time that its the problem on mine. They changed it on that car and it was still knocking. So sure...lets change everything so were bound to get the faulty part somehwere! But ya broken or not broken it would be good to do the whole thing.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Benzonline - 5/15/2005 11:12 AM

So sure...lets change everything so were bound to get the faulty part somehwere! But ya broken or not broken it would be good to do the whole thing.
Is that you talking or the mechanic?

Either way I’m not fond of that approach. If one sorts through Mr. T’s hateful post you’ll find some grains of truth: all of the suspension and drive line parts he notes do need to be replaced at one point, victims of mileage and time. The trick is to find an honest mechanic to check each component and identify the parts that actually need to be replaced and those that can wait. A third or fourth opinion may be needed to avoid being treated like a cow.

·
Registered
2006 E500, 2013 S550 and a retired 88 SDL
424 Posts
I have to agree with Tikket these are big heavy vehicles and those bushings are the old versions, that need to be greased, not like the new sealed kind of suspension joints.

They wear, they fail and they need to be fixed. Just get it done as inexpensively as possible. My complete front end replacement was about $1400.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup im aware it all needs to be eventually done but I just want to know what can wait and fix mainly the main component which is making the knocking.

·
Registered
560 SEL, 190 E
16 Posts
Not sure which mechanic you're using but there is a very good one in the Keele and Finch area that also has a used benz parts outlet next door. He's done work on my 190 and 560 which I'm quite happy with. Post a reply if you'd like his number and addy.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Lurch....im interested in this mechanic and what is the used benz part place like? What kind of parts do they carry?

Thanks

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
Since before I started to drive I have worked on all my own stuff. When I got my first car I didn't have the $$ to pay someone to fix so out of necessity I learned things the hard way. I have done it ever since. I smile everytime I think about how much cash I saved. Whenever I needed to fix something I just read as much as I could about it and asked all my friends advice.
Well, years later with no formal certification I was out of work and a friend of mine asked me to come work for him in his garage.
I have a Ducati which has desmodromic valves and it needed service recently. Even though I felt comfy tackling any part of a car, the bike scared me. I saved some money to get it serviced but got tired of trying to find a trustworthy shop. The bike is apart in my basement as we speak and I am waiting for parts. So far, so good. I spent the money on tools needed for the job.

It is going to feel great in the end when the bike is finished and I will have saved myself at least $500. AND I'll have the tools for myself.

Long story short, TRY IT YOURSELF!

·
Registered
560 SEL, 190 E
16 Posts
Hi Marko

Charlie McNally - he's the owner...
McNally Auto Service Ltd
130 Le Page Court, North York, ON M3J3J1
(416) 398-6799

Basically east off Keele just south of Finch. This guy is very good and very fair on pricing. He specializes in MBs and BMWs - more MBs though.

It appears that he has taken an interest in the Used Parts supplier as well, as it is in the next unit but co-joined in the back.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vwbuge.....90% of the stuff done on my car is DIY by me....thanks.

This one I cant figure out and suspension work i'll leave for someone else.

Lurch thanks for the info....if all else fails I'll look it up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts