Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I've searched for about an hour and I couldn't find the exact answer to my question (different year/model/audio system).

My Car: 2006 C230 Sport Sedan with HK audio system.

My Concern: Went to Al & Ed's to see how much it would cost for them to install and amp and two subs. They said they wouldn't know if they could unless they took my dash apart and checked the back of my head unit. Something about fiber optic blah blah. They said they didn't have information on it (which they probably should have).

I'm going tomorrow to go buy two Alpine type Rs and a rockford fosgate P1000-1bd from a guy for $500 (amazing price).

So, is this going to be a normal install for these guys or will this not be possible?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
You have fiber optics, so it'll need to be installed using a hi-lo or other OEM integration unit on the speaker outputs, unless you want to totally rewire. If the system is anything like the earlier Bose units which changed volume based on speed and noise, you will also need to disable the road noise microphone or it will turn down the stereo every time the bass hits. The latter will require a cooperative dealer.

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok. So I need a hi lo even if I'm not messing with the preinstalled speakers? Because I just want the amp connected to the subs. If yes can you link me to a hi-lo? A google search yielded some weird stuff.

Edit: Also, will this void my warranty? The whole thing or just part of it?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've gotten good results from active HI-LOs before, which is why I said not that one in particular. Neat to know there is a MOST preamp, who makes it? I haven't seen anything like that for D2B.

·
Registered
2005 CL65 AMG, 2007 Ferrari F430
790 Posts
We make a MOST preamp for Mercedes, BMW and Porsche. It is not on our site yet, but we have had it in low production numbers since March. We never attempted one for the D2B cars, but would not be hard to do if the demand was there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes you can add subs with amp but make sure that each sub has seprate box beucase its easy to take them out and you can open your rear seat. The big box that can fix two subs will give you hard time to work in your trunk.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
We make a MOST preamp for Mercedes, BMW and Porsche. It is not on our site yet, but we have had it in low production numbers since March. We never attempted one for the D2B cars, but would not be hard to do if the demand was there.
Very cool! I doubt there would be the demand for D2B but if it's easy enough, you might want to put it out there. D2B didn't seem to be as widely deployed as MOST. Does it require recoding the ring or does it replace the amp?

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cool! I doubt there would be the demand for D2B but if it's easy enough, you might want to put it out there. D2B didn't seem to be as widely deployed as MOST. Does it require recoding the ring or does it replace the amp?
Your acronyms are foreign to me. Well looks like I'm going to go through with it. Found a guy at Fry's Electronics over in Anaheim that seems really knowledgeable. I called once and they told me to call back the next day for the Mercedes guy, Morgan. Going the Hi-Lo route. I'll post pictures and let you guys know what I think the quality is like.

On another note Best Buy is capable of ordering a dash install kit to change out our stock head units. The guy told me it would be about $40 for it.

So in total my subs, box and amp will cost me $500 of Craigslist (retails for $1,400 at BestBuy). Install was estimated at $70. Hopefully my buddy that works for an electronics store can get me the amplifier install kit cheap. The hi low converter will be about $30. All in all around $700 for everything I'm thinking.

·
Registered
2006 C230WZ
80 Posts
What kind of subs/amps are you putting in? I just picked up my 06 C230WZ on tuesday and am putting in a single JL 12" W6 in a custom box with a JL 500/1v2 amp to power it .... not touching the head unit though, all I really want is some nice deep bass and an ipod hookeup ... I called the dealership here in winnipeg canada and the girl sounded like an idiot, said she wasn't sure if they could even do ipod intigration without deleting a code?? Does that sound like anything anyone has dealt with before?

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two 12'' alpine type Rs in a bassworx box and a P1000-1bd Rockford Fosgate amp.

As soon as I get it hooked up I'll post pics and all the parts I needed to make it work. I'm hoping to get it done tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006 C230WZ
80 Posts
Nice, I had 2 Alpine type r's in my last car, they are decent subs and you can find them for super cheap which is always awesome! You doing anything to the head unit or leaving everything else stock but just adding the subs?

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went on best buys website and added all the exact equipment I was getting (2 subs, box, amp) and it came out to just over $1,400, I'm getting it all for $500. I'm leaving the head unit alone for now. Do you suggest I change it?

·
Registered
2006 C230WZ
80 Posts
Honestly I don't know what to tell you about the head unit, I would much rather have an aftermarket head unit with its own gps as opposed to the factory head unit my car came with but it's a little bit different driving a mercedes then it is driving my last car (Mitsubishi Eclipse :p ) So personally I think I'm not going to change anything and just get the sub/amp and then add ipod integration so I can control it with my steering wheel and that'll be the end of the audio upgrades to this car. Comes with a nice factory system I just cant stand the radio and need some more bass.

Thats a great price for those components though, I havent heard good or bad things about RF as far as amps are concerned, I always just paired my alpines with alpine amps and so on ... My setup with the Hi/LO and amp/sub/custom box is running me $2000 installed so you definitely got a good deal!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If you replace the factory head, since you have HK sound, you will have to replace the speaker wiring as well at least. It's a really involved project at that point.

There is a full iPod kit available that puts song titles in the instrument cluster and lets you switch tracks with the steering wheel controls. It's an official MB part. There has been some complaint that it doesn't give a very loud signal, so you have to turn the stereo up more than usual with the iPod, but otherwise it works well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.