Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this example was up on ebay afew weeks ago. asking price of $9k.....w/173k miles.

i've always felt that the sec convertible was a much more desirable care than the sl. still think that way...how hard is it to convert a sec to a ragtop?

Attachments

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
according to what i read on somewebsite.. u will have to cut away the roof and then strengthen the chasis by welding iron beams lengthwise of the car and support them at some specfic point near the jack hole

u need some qualified body building workshop and some $$$ at hand

if u consider urself expert at body work and understand the vehicle construction very well.. then u can probably accomplish the job of top removal under $3000

http://groups.msn.com/1980extremetuning

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Anything can be done for a price. Yes, an SEC convertible will be better then the r107 and its jump seat if you have more than one passenger.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
not crazy about the wheels on that one. and the "V12" logo on the trunklid is dorky. the *idea* of a SEC convertible is nice, but that particular example isn't the best...

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
i dunno... i don't like them.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
danwatt - 4/4/2005 2:38 AM

In my opinion, the coupes don't look very good as convertables. The sedans, however, look awesome.

sedan coupe[xx(]

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,445 Posts
I know where a Euro 500SEC convertible is located in the SF Bay area, but....

Good news: the conversion was done by Styling Garage and is one of the best jobs ever done - it's one of the few convertibles strengthened so that you can leave the doors open for a while and not have the car start to bend! The top mechanism is all 1/4" (5mm?) thick steel, so it is very strong. The car has 55,661 miles on it.

Not so good news: the car WAS pearl white, with a custom white leather interior with red piping, AMG kit (front air dam, rear valence, side skirts, rear wing), custom stereo, lowered, great wheels. Then it was purchased by a drug dealer so it was immediately painted candy apple red and every external visible metal (including the rims) were gold plated. The stereo was removed and then it sat for 12 years. This could be the raw material for a really great car if someone wanted to do the work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts