Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SL500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi again. since my timing chain broke i decided to go with engine rebuild and i found that in order to finish the rebuild needs special coating for cylinder banks. I called local MB dealers and they said engine block has yo be shipped to a factory yo do alusil coating. Mostly they said they don't do that, just changing pistons and done.

Do i really need this alusil recoating thing or only if walls of a cylinder are scratched? Is there any alternatives like installing different type cylinder banks it anything else?

·
Premium Member
1998 Red SL500, 2002 Black SL500, 2014 Black E550 Cabriolet
1,229 Posts
Fill out your profile...you ask for help or advice but no information listed..
Year, miles, located, model....

·
Registered
1998 500SL
94 Posts
It is not a coating. It is a precision machining process. There is no iron cylinder liners in these engines. The blocks are cast with a high degree of silicon (Si) in the aluminum (Al) metal, thus AluSil. The rings of the pistons ride along protrusions of silicon in the aluminum matrix. The silicon is VERY hard and takes the place of the iron liner used in other engines. A normal iron liner is cross-hatched to hold oil as a lubricant for the piston rings. The Mercedes engines (as well the V-8 in the Porsche 928) use these silicon protrusions as bearing surfaces for the rings and oil catches in the valleys between the protrusions.

The honing and lapping process (using the compound shown in the video) create the very precise surface for the cylinders in these engines to work properly with the pistons.

·
Premium Member
1998 Red SL500, 2002 Black SL500, 2014 Black E550 Cabriolet
1,229 Posts
It is not a coating. It is a precision machining process. There is no iron cylinder liners in these engines. The blocks are cast with a high degree of silicon (Si) in the aluminum (Al) metal, thus AluSil. The rings of the pistons ride along protrusions of silicon in the aluminum matrix. The silicon is VERY hard and takes the place of the iron liner used in other engines. A normal iron liner is cross-hatched to hold oil as a lubricant for the piston rings. The Mercedes engines (as well the V-8 in the Porsche 928) use these silicon protrusions as bearing surfaces for the rings and oil catches in the valleys between the protrusions.

The honing and lapping process (using the compound shown in the video) create the very precise surface for the cylinders in these engines to work properly with the pistons.
Spot on!!!

Reactions: Ken Potter

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,083 Posts
We Americans like to take credit for everything:cool:

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,227 Posts
not sure, high mileage and checked the compression in pistons was pretty low.
White is your current mileage. I just wanna know for future reference when its time to replace my own timing chain

·
Registered
1998 SL500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can check tension. if its loose, change it. i had knocking sound coming from chain.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if this process same as on the video above, i could try asking local machining shop to help me out.

who can identify what kind brushes he made to do that and what paste he used?

·
Registered
1999 SL600 | 2001 SL500 (sold)
1,227 Posts
you can check tension. if its loose, change it. i had knocking sound coming from chain.
Probably Too intensive of a job on the v12 with the huge air intake. Anyone have a good suggestion on around what mileage to change the chain?

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,421 Posts
Pioneered in the Chevy Vega :)
well, not quite. Reynolds aluminum came up with a process, GM decided to "improve' on the process and didn't do all the steps that Reynolds called out, and in the end oil burning at a early life was a problem. After that there was Nikasil using a nickel or chrome plating on aluminum and then finally back to the reynolds process and following it closely yields a great result.

Reactions: Ken Potter

·
Registered
2004 SL600; 2004 SL500;1996 SL600;2003 ML350; 1997 C280 Sport; 1987 190e 2.3 16v; 1986 190e 2.3 16V;
776 Posts
Low compression could be many things. Do a leak-down test. That tells you where the issue is.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
leak-down test needs to he done on warm engine. mine doesn't start anymore.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably Too intensive of a job on the v12 with the huge air intake. Anyone have a good suggestion on around what mileage to change the chain?
no idea. just change it with all rails, bars etc. but i didn't change right after i bought the vehicle and now i have to rebuild the engine.
this accident teach to always change it if you not sure, to avoid chain brake. i even asked the owner if its good idea to change it. he said, no all good to go. nothing needs to be done. f*cking lier.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it is good that cylinder walls needs to be brushed with some kind of compound.

i try to brush walls on my own. looks like a guy on the video is using shoe brushes. i go pick the one i need when needed.

·
Registered
1998 SL500
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
meanwhile i need to remove the engine some how. if i manage to separate exhaust from heads and remove them. may be i could do the block while its in the engine bay. like can be done on Japan cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts