Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
U1550/37 Doka
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my 55Amp Alternator so that it can handle the load for charging my "leisure" batteries.

I have been looking at an alternator provided by Sterling They make a 24V / 140Amp Alternator and also have a regulator and protector that they add onto their Alternators.

They seem to be selling at £645.92 (including VAT and delivery) for the Alternator and Regulator and on Sterling’s website the protector is selling for about £42.

Thus the question: Is there any reason I should be worried about taking this alternator? Sterling seem to be a reputable firm and many boats put their lives in their hands. But is their any challenges using this alternator on a Unimog?

As always your advice and input is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
All alternators are much for a much. £650 seems extraordinarily expensive for one though. Try phoning your local truck supplies and see what they can advise. I'd expect to be paying well under £200 for a high current 24v alternator.

You will need to change from a fan belt to either multiple fan belts or a serpentine belt for that load though.

What voltage are you planning on running the leisure circuit on? If 12 (which has by far the most appliances available) why not fit a second alternator which also introduces redundancy (in worst case you could rig some charging system up from the engine to get the main batteries charged in case of the 24v alternator failing). If 24v, again, why not a second alternator? Perhaps one the same at the one already on the truck, again for redundancy.

·
Premium Member
U1550/37 Doka
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One day...just one day there will just be one answer and we will all agree it is the correct answer....

But until then...thx for giving me a new thinking line.

One the price - AV are selling a 100AMP 24 Alternator for about £195. Which seems more reasonable for an Alternator. But always makes me wonder why the price difference.

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
If you add boat, yacht or marine in the description of something start by tripling the price or add a zero, which ever comes first.

Something else, when the fancy expensive alternator packs in are you going to be able to go to a local dealer and order one? Remeber, if a country has had a dictator, it will have a mercedes dealer.

·
Registered
1985 416 DOKA mid-mounted Rotzler winch, 1984 U1200AG
452 Posts
And if it says MILSPEC it is even more....fortunatly for me Uncle Same bought to many of these N1511-1 100AMP 14V/28V Alternators and sold some surplus MUCH cheaper than the 1800$ retail price. I have not mounted it yet but some of the issues I have to address might be/are:

-upgraded wiring alternator to battery (higher amperage)
-custom mounting
-custom pully/belt so the belt does not slip under higher load (has anyone here upgraded to 100AMP and gone with a single V belt? Did it work?)
-adjustable tachometer since the "W" terminal on this alternator does not pulse at the same rate as the original

My plan is to run the truck on 12V as it is now and use 24V for heated windscreen and perhaps some other accessories.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,365 Posts
Holy crap, and maybe weld? That thing looks skookum!
The best taxpayers money can buy :D

On a serious note; when I was looking for a new alternator, I trawled through the Bosch alternator catalogue - complete bonkers !
There is, at a guess somewhre between 200 - 400 differrent ones in there. With some the only differnce is a few milimeter in mounting positiion, or some silly aspect. Do we realy need this many different alternators ? No ! This is pure marketting(gouging) so you have to pay a premium. Anyway, I picked the most common (used on Ford/Holden) that can be picked up anywhere in the bush given the proponderence of Fords/Holdens here in Oz - so I am with dxmedia - pick something you have easy access to regarding service. I picked mine up off fleabay for less than $100.00 - brand new, genuine Bosch item.

Attachments

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
I remember working in the mechanic shop, and a car comes in, pontiac I think, needed a new alternator. None in stock, so my mechanic went to the shelf, found a GM one close enough, and rotated the case, viola! same alternator, different part number :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts