Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300sd, 1979 300d
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to change all of my belts today for the first time on this car as one of the alternator belts was starting to wear away on the edge. And I noticed that I don't have any type of tensioner bracket. From what I have gathered from searching the forums, I am supposed to have some sort of bolt/bracket to tighten it up.

So now I had to use a pry bar and pull the alternator tight while then tightening up the bolts on the back... Anyway after getting all of the belts tightened up I start the car and it sounds like the alternator is hitting the metal bracket as it spins!

Does anybody know if some of these cars came without a tensioner or did a previous owner break it and remove it maybe?

Here are a few pics of it... this is a 1983 300sd
:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Those brackets are easily damaged, so I'm thinking a PO rigged up what you have.

I'm wondering, do you have room to turn that slotted piece around?

·
Registered
1983 300sd, 1979 300d
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, I will try to turn it around. I was about to grind it down a bit for clearance and didn't even think of trying it the other way first...

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes. And I guess I will have to track down the correct bracket and install it soon. I see that I can buy the bracket and bolt new from Importec.com, but maybe I can find one at a salvage yard around here for less...

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
If what you're going to try works, you may want to leave it alone as that bracket needs a high dollar "L" bolt. Some folks have rigged up something from hardware store items, tho.

I may have one of those laying around.

·
Registered
1983 300sd, 1979 300d
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed, for now

Okay so I flipped it around and drilled out the hole a bit as it was threaded on the other end for some reason. It now has enough clearance! So for now I guess it is good. The belts seem quite tight so I think it should do the trick.

I am concerned in the long run though, that the bracket that Mercedes made helped tighten so that both belts have even tension. I noticed on the old belts that the inner one was wearing away at the inner edge and I thought maybe it might be due to the fact that it didn't have the intended bracket.

Yes, I noticed that the special bolt is running around $37 or so at Importec which is quite pricey (they want $120 for the bracket too). I will do some checking around and see if it may be possible to find a used bracket and bolt in a salvage yard here.

For now I seem to be good to go though, thanks again Rmac, and I may need a better deal on a L bolt in the near future so I will check back with you!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
If you're concerned about the area in the pic, don't worry about it. A slightly too thick belt I'm thinking.

If you pull a bracket from the JY and the "L" bolt gets destroyed in the process, the second pic has the dimensions, a machine shop can weld you up one.
I'll suggest you make the smaller section shorter, as everyone I've seen that has been removed is bent.

It sticks out just a bit at the end of that nut on my SD, you may not need anywhere the length.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts