Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Anyone have the instructions? I have downloaded the manual, but I can't find this! :(
The manual can drive you nuts trying to find what you need. I have spent 1-1/2 at least trying to find Ohm chart for the temp gage sensor to help someone else from yesterday. I know it's in there. :-(

Not much help but... Select engine 103, crankcase and cylinder Head, then 01-210 removing the timing cover. Scan down the pages. It just shows you the bracket and bolts to pull.

I guess there is just not much room in the 2.6. 2.3 is quite easy to get at. It's just loosen the Serp. Belt, disconnect the battery as to not short anything, remove wiring and the bolts holding the clamp.

Dan

·
Registered
234 Posts
2.6 Altenator Removal

Disconnect Negative Terminal of Battery
Loosen Belt Tentioner Pully Bolt # 25 Should be 19mm socket
Loosen Belt Tentioner adjuster #24 should be 13mm socket
Push on belt tentioner and slip belt off of altenator pulley
Unbolt altentor bolts #5 should be 17mm socket
Slip alterntor out of bracket unplug wire and remove

If you would like more room to work in due to the restraints of the 6 cylinder engine you can remove the fan and shroud.

first remove the fan shroud retaining clips # 1A
tilt the shroud back towards the engine and remove the center fan retaining bolt #80 should be a 13mm. Slide fan forward off of pulley and remove fan and shroud

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
That exactly what I thought need to do - to remove fan, shroud, radiator, to drain fluids... So far Haynes manual tells so.
I didn't check it on 2.6, but my impression was it's same as on 190D, where it takes only few minutes to take alternator off from the bottom. Just loosen belt as shown (from top), pick up front end (fix on stands), and remove alternator from bottom.
- 4 screws off of plastic shield;
- unplug power;
- remove 2 bolts.
Space between alternator and radiator to remove bolt is exact and even extra. It was my biggest concern. Otherwise alternator is 100% exposed from the bottom of engine compartment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts