Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, I have an 82 300D Turbo, recently, the battery wasnt charging, and I wasnt getting any electrical in the car, so I figured it might have been the battery, switched the battery, and still same problem. this leads me to the alternator, I check the tension in the belts, and thats all good, so I switch the alternator with a nice new bosch part, and it STILL isnt charging or giving me electrical, anyone have any ideas, me, my uncle(who runs a used MB dealership and a MB accredited shop) and my mechanic are all stumped.

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Not charging

josh

Have you checked the engine earth strap. If it's corroded through, or the connections at either end gone bad, it would cause your symptons.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Location of Engine Ground?

Spanners, you wouldn't happen to know the location of the engine ground/earth cable on a 1980 300D would you? I've been wondering about that.

Josh, how are the battery cables? I once had a pair that were apparently bad according to my mechanic (all I saw was a little bit of corrosion) and he said that they were causing my problem. My problem was that the engine turned over, and faster than normal, but wouldn't start up (it was unusual, at least for me). If the cables were somehow causing my unusual problem, maybe you should check yours out as well.

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Engine Ground

wsad

It should be attached to one of the gearbox (tranny) housing bolts.

·
Registered
2x300D-83
54 Posts
Have you checked the ignition lock? I have once scratched my head wondering what the xxxx ...

Have you checked the ignition lock? I have once scratched my head wondering what the xxxx was going on when all instuments went dead. After a while I foud out that the key was turned a little bit counter clockwise from driving position but not enough to activate the vacum shut off.

Anders

·
Registered
1981 300D
646 Posts
Perhaps..

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when my Explorer had this problem, I too was in the same situation for quite some time...However...I than checked the fuses...One was out..

Now I'm not sure it is the same deal with the 300D, or if you have checked already, but hey, thats my two cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts