Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me how to remove the #4 bolt below? I tried and striped the crap out of it and I think now I will have to weld another bolt to it to remove. I have soaked it for a week with pb blaster and still stripped it.

what are my options?

cut it off?

weld another bolt and give it another try?

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
It appears you'll need to cut it off, or do the weld thing. New ones may be available at the dealer.

Did you loosen the other bolt first?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
That bolt doesn't have to be removed at all. In theory, you loosen the other bolts and that bolt (4), when turned, gives the alternator slack as it rides on the rack. The bolt itself is a pinion of sorts.

But if you've stripped it I'd remove it and replace it with a regular metric bolt from the hardware store. If you have a means to weld, I'm going to think you have a means to either grind or drill. You could grind that rack off the bracket or drill out the rivets. Replace the bolt with another and a couple flat washers and tighten the belt gently with a pry bar between the alternator and the engine.

You have to tighten the belt in that fashion anyways if that gear strips.

(On Edit) Your photo shows no rivets, so if that's the case you could simply grind enough clearance out of the rack for a couple washers.

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I was able to loosen the other bolts. This #4 bolt would not loosen at all. It has now completely stripped and I even took its sister bolt off and hammer it through that way...and it wont budge. So now, I can cut it off, but that still leaves the iss that the washer has teeth on it that need to be used on the guide no? I guess I can try and weld another bolt on it and try that route too. I have been blasting it with PB all week, so this weekend I will give it another try....

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Yes, the bolt you speak of has a gear on it. What I'm saying is to get rid of that set up altogether as it's made to be used once and that was for the assembly of the engine (so it seems).

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,652 Posts
I posted the link to the forum tutorial in post 2 of your ATF thread.
Advance research of a topic often discussed in the forum archive usually helps.
Another option might be a Tucson self service wrecking yard.
Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts