Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternator is shot, or so my mechanic friends tell me....
brand new battery > 2 weeks old.
went to start her this morning, and nothing happened.
went to jump, sounded like she was trying, but no luck (the radio did turn on, tho)

2 questions:
does this sound like an alternator to everyone else?

if so

how do i change it?
i'm going to do it myself, i think.
pictures would help.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,241 Posts
Are all the contacts O.K., and did you check the connectivity of the battery ground cable? Corrosion? Often the voltage regulator on the alternator is the culprit.
Have you tried a forum search?
Check out the Russian site for their exploded parts view.

From your old 'couple more questions' thread:
Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information write up's re your topic.
Good luck

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,241 Posts
I am not trying to give you a hard time, but a large part of what I know about our cars, I learned by taking the time to read archived threads.
How to search, and to navigate the forum is in the 'Welcome' tutorial sticky on top.
Reading the sticky, and getting familiar with the functions will save everyone time.
I just ran 2 forum searches with 'alternator replacement,' and 'replace voltage regulator,' and got many pages of threads.
The attached pdf is for the M103 / 300SE/L, but should be close enough.
Actually, when I used change alternator, I got this http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd-sdl-class/1363642-removing-alternator-power-steering-pump-560sel.html?highlight=change+alternator

Attachments

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Charge up your battery and reinstall in your car. Make sure the terminals are clean and the battery is well connected.
Take a voltage reading.
Start car. Check the voltage while car is running.
If the voltage goes up 2V or so, your alternator is good.
If it does not, your alternator might be bad.

This a general way to test the alternator. Not responsible if you shock yourself;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts