Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure my alternators shot. My mechanic changed it a little over two years ago along with a brand new interstate battery. Last year I changed the voltage regulator after having thinking that was the cause. But like last winter I find myself charging the battery every night with a trickle charger so I won't be stranded anywhere. At first I thought the battery wasn't holding a charge until my dad was able to start the car after three weeks of sitting in the JWU campus parking lot while I was in the hospital.

This problem doesn't happen in the summer, only in the winter, but it has gotten worse and worse. I know the alternator must be the culprit because after having AAA jump my car in Amsterdam, NY and driving three hours home at highway speeds one would imagine that the next day my battery would have enough charge to turn the engine over...nope. Now my main question really is regarding the types of alternators one can get. I noticed there is a 55 amp and 70 amp one. I obviously want to go for the larger one, but I'm unaware if the 70 amp will fit properly on my car. Better yet, is there an even more powerful one that will fit on my 81 300D?

Thank You

-Sean

·
Registered
817 Posts
If it is the alternator then you wouldn't have enough charge to start the car with the lights on right after you shut it off. I would check for some drain on the battery first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts