Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 240D has had a problem keeping a charge in its battery. I replaced it becuase i assumed it was an old battery. I got the diehard international right after christmas, and since then it has lost all starting power. I have narrowed it down to the alternator becuase i have heard some squeaking, which was most likely the alternator, and the fact that it has a good battery. So, i need to get a new alternator, and install it. Would you suggest a used one? its about a $80 difference, and $80 saved there is more money for other repairs. But if it doesnt work.... Also, there are a few different choices at Active Foreign Auto Parts, should i look for one close to my model, or just the newest one? Now, on to the install questions.. Has anyone here done this themselves? The manual makes it seem easy, but being a newbie, i'm a little afraid. I don't really want to take it to a dealer because i dont have lots of money to pay for labor and all. Is it easy enough that i can learn, or should i just take it to the dealer and be in debt? [:I]

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
125 Posts
Before you proceed. . . .

If you're not exactly sure what the problem is, here's what someone on this forum suggested to me. Go to an AutoZone and they'll test your battery, starter/starting system, alternator/charging system, and voltage regulator for free. I did that, and it turned out that the battery, which I had for just around a year, was bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.