Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 300D Turbo Sedan, 227k when the odometer broke.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove my alternator but I can not figure out how to release the tension on the belt. How do I do that?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,847 Posts
Do a search for a full description with pics. Yours is a OM603, but the procedure is similar other than the tensioner which requires unbolting the spring and shock on the diesel version.

Here's a link that might help (M103 version, but 80% similar to yours)

PeachPartsWiki: 190E 2.6 Belt Replacement

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't really see anything searching. Are there any you can find 603 specific?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, I do not have the service manual.

It looks like I wasn't that far off, I had removed the bolt for that spring, it seemed to take some tension off the belt but it didn't really get all that loose, do I just need to push the pulley by hand and sort of force the belt off? I don't plan to change the belt as it looks fine, just need to get the alternator out and back in.

·
Registered
W124
4,695 Posts
Not sure if the diesels work this way but on the gas motors I never release the tensioner. I just remove the upper bolt for the alternator and slip the belt off the pulley. Once the new alternator is in place it just takes a little leverage with a large screwdriver once the belt is back on to position the alternator so you can insert the bolt again. 10 minutes in and out tops - but that is on a gas motor M103.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,847 Posts
It IS the same on the diesels, with the exception of needing to remove the shock & spring. Actually, the shock doesn't even need to be removed but will have to manipulated by hand to release the tensioner pulley.

I find it easier to just yank the shock, it's only 2 bolts.

This link shows how to do it when R&R'ing the fan clutch.

PeachPartsWiki: R&R of the Viscous Fan Clutch

·
Registered
W124
4,695 Posts
If you have to release the tensioner then its not the same as an M103 I guess. There is no need to release the tensioner itself, just the belt tension. That can be done by removing the upper alternator bolt and allowing the belt tensioner to relax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts