Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
A bunch o of 'em - see signautre
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 560SEL, I'm stumped on how to get the thing off. I wrestled the tensioner bolt enoughh to get it to turn a "scosh" but no where near enough to move the alt and release the tension to be able to get the belt off - PB Blaster overnight and I'll try again after work today...

However, the top mounting bolt can't be completely pulled out because of the fan shroud - does the shroud have to come off? If so, how do you remove it? I can't believe I need to remove the radiator to do so?

Anybody been there?

P.S. - I just want to put in a new regulator but can't get to that because of the oil filter housing... and yes, I spent a couple of hours searching here (and at m'shop).

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Did you try taking off the oil filter housing cap/long bolt? That should give enough clearance to get to the bottom screw of the regulator.

This may help with the alternator, its related to the belts:

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 560 SEL
11 Posts
I used a Husky Ratchet wrench, pn 64723 to access the regulator screws without removing the Alternator - a tight fit and a little tedious. Easier than removing the Alternator, though.

·
Registered
A bunch o of 'em - see signautre
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for replies...

Guys -

I was going to try that Markus (remove filter bolt for clearance) but I have "rust welded"/corrosion issues on those little screws and need to get it on the bench.

Klaus - probably couldn't get enough torque or pressure to prevent stripping the heads of those little suckers. Found Husky Tools (available exclusively at Home Depot). Web site denies existence of that part #...

·
Registered
1986 560 SEL
11 Posts
I bought the Husky ratchet at Home Depot about a year ago specifically for this job. Its a standard small box end ratchet with a kit of screwdriver and hex bits that fit the ratchet. The part number is on the packaging, but may be obsolete by now. The screws didn't take that much force to break free (they're not that long) on my '86 560 SEL, but your situation may be different. Good Luck.

Klaus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts