Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
many of these cars show warnings about lamps out but, the bulbs are fine. it's the poor contact between the socket and metal part of the tail light housing. some put foil there or try to bend the contacts on the socket to assure a more reliable flow of electrons. these seem temporary (at least in my experience).

i saw mjhawkins fix here;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1237775-finally-fixing-light-malfunction-errors.html

liked it but, am lazy so i tried this.

put a dab of solder on the contact points of the socket. there's a little tab to push in towards the center of the socket to remove the metal contacts from the plastic housing. once they're out, hold 'em in something that won't melt and you're ready to solder.

did both tail lights and they've been good for a month so far. the reverse lights are pictured here.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if the mods think it appropriate, please move this to the w210 section.

almost everywhere i look, w210's without tail lights...

·
Registered
306 Posts
many of these cars show warnings about lamps out but, the bulbs are fine. it's the poor contact between the socket and metal part of the tail light housing. some put foil there or try to bend the contacts on the socket to assure a more reliable flow of electrons. these seem temporary (at least in my experience).

i saw mjhawkins fix here;

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1237775-finally-fixing-light-malfunction-errors.html

liked it but, am lazy so i tried this.

put a dab of solder on the contact points of the socket. there's a little tab to push in towards the center of the socket to remove the metal contacts from the plastic housing. once they're out, hold 'em in something that won't melt and you're ready to solder.

did both tail lights and they've been good for a month so far. the reverse lights are pictured here.
Great job. I just did this to my 1996 W210 and I believe my brake light issues are finally over.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
glad to hear this, compconsult!

there's a w210 in my neighborhood with a dark tail light, i've been tempted to follow him home and introduce myself...

what is this sickness?!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glad to hear this, mike!

as my problems have not re-surfaced, i now consider this a long-term fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts