Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find other threads about alternative manual transmission swaps, so please re-direct me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I've read several times that the manual transmission in the Mercedes of this era aren't as smooth-shifting or "sporting" as the competition. Even warnings to those considering an auto-to-manual swap that the end result isn't going to be as satisfying as, say, a BMW or the Japanese manuals with their direct-mount shifters. This includes the dogleg Getrag, possibly due to the divorced shifter requiring linkages, which introduce added backlash to the equation.

Therefore, what are folks using as modern or better alternatives? I was about to give away a very nice and smooth-shifting 5-speed out of a former project car, the Nissan transmission paired with the SR20DET. The dimension from the shifter to the front of the bellhousing is about 31", which is not too far off what I measure in the 190e. Obviously there will need to be some minor custom bits (bellhousing adapter plate, clutch interface and input shaft length, tranny mount, custom front driveshaft section, speedometer) but that is all doable. But before I begin it's worth an inquiry to see if there is another transmission that is already known to be an easier retrofit.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,354 Posts
I suggest trying an MB manual that doesn't have worn shifter bushings before spending much time figuring out how to install a Nissan transmission in your 201 unless you're making the kind of power that requires it.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,925 Posts
I second that emotion!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would someone please measure the transmission length, from the bellhousing/block joint, to the center of the shifter?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts