Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 230 SLK
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for the guys in the USA like me that can't or decides that repainting the console like the guys over in Australia is doing is eather going to be a waste of time ( might start to peel again; and not saying that there idea is bad ) or just don't want to deal with getting the paint shipped in, can't find a person to repaint it ( my problem), I have found a possible solution.

Motsenbocker's Lift Off, Paint and Varnish Remover.

Its a water-based gel stripper found at Lowe's or Home Depot in the paint section.

You Paint the stuff on with a paint brush..little bit goes a long ways....( make sure you mask anything you dont want stripped like the fake Carbon fiber, it will take the design off ) Let it sit until you notice it blistering, then it should easily rub off with a wet rag.

It doesn't hurt the plastic underneath, works fast, and very effecient.

I will warn that it is a bit on the messy side with the paint peeling off in moist clumps, but the end result is a nice black Factory looking console, Glove box, instrument panel, and vent panels.

·
Registered
2000 SLK230 Kompressor
104 Posts
I came across an interesting leather product while looking for a solution about the paint chips on my console. Anyone want to change the color of their interior?

Leatherique

I have used their leather cleaning products and they work great!!! Made the leather in mine look brand new. I have used the Rejunivator Oil and Pristine Clean on a 2000 Firebird, and my SLK. I have also seen it on the following BMW's 95 - 325, 1999 - 525, 1998 - 325i convert.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
That's fine if you want a non standard colour

The real trick is finding a company who has done the colour matching and kept the 'recipe'

Altoid, over 90% of the 300 odd orders from Viponds have gone to the USA - no different to ordering from anywhere else. (We even have Post Offices here but the rampaging kangaroos are a bugger when they plunder the mail boxes for baby crocs!)

Oberoi

·
Registered
2000 230 SLK
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was trying to be helpful and nice but seeing how you guys took it thew wrong way I will keep my findings to my self:surrender: :surrender:

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I agree, just people asking questions, don't go into hiding quite yet.

Here's pics from someone else that has done the same thing on another forum with the same goop, hopefully same results (which are quite good). Unfortunately my daughter prefers scratched up beige to perfect black.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Altoidboi71 said:
Well I was trying to be helpful and nice but seeing how you guys took it thew wrong way I will keep my findings to my self:surrender: :surrender:
Hey Altoidboi

- don't be so hard on yourself! - no offence taken, and none meant. Just an unsubtle suggestion that there are also countries outside the USA! -- call me sensitive!!

Oberoi

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
oberoi said:
Hey Altoidboi

- don't be so hard on yourself! - no offence taken, and none meant. Just an unsubtle suggestion that there are also countries outside the USA! -- call me sensitive!!

Oberoi

OK

Oberoi.... youre sensitive :twak: :sloppy:

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 (WANTED)
202 Posts
Old news. I removed the paint from mine with a water based plastic stripper like 6 months ago :)

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
This is not a stuffy forum like the other mb sites, peeps here take the piss and have a giggle with each other, So dont take things to hart.

Its coz they are upside down all the time, blood runs to there head :D

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
papa said:
This is not a stuffy forum like the other mb sites, peeps here take the piss and have a giggle with each other, So dont take things to hart.

Its coz they are upside down all the time, blood runs to there head :D
Hey I resemble that remark :givemebeer:

Bazzle:eek:

·
Registered
2000 230 SLK
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motsenbocker's Lift Off, Paint and Varnish Remover.

Its a water-based gel stripper found at Lowe's or Home Depot in the paint section.

·
Registered
2000 230 SLK
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys for the kind response....and thanks Bullwinkle for the pics to show what the stuff does.... and Oberei, I wansn't reponding to you but SpitzStrom-Terp Comment saying that the advise wasn't worth crap with out Pics.... sorry but cant do pics

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Yeah, he does that all the time !!

Pics are a lot of fun tho'

iorebO

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 Sport
450 Posts
oberoi said:
Yeah, he does that all the time !!
iorebO
I do what all the time!?

Altoidboi71 said:
Thanks guys for the kind response........ and Oberei, I wansn't reponding to you but SpitzStrom-Terp Comment saying that the advise wasn't worth crap with out Pics....
I don't recall the "fun" smiley faces saying anything about your post or advice being "worth crap". It was simply a cute group of smilies basically saying "we need pictures please", nothing more. The only reason I even posted on the topic in the first place was that I was responding to your question, and happy to see someone contributing more ideas to the forum.

No harm intended, but some of us need to chill out on the hurt feelings here. Geez! :surrender:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts