Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a pic of my 1980 TD (non-turbo)injection pump. I need some answers as to what is on top of it. None of it appears in my MB manuals. I circled the important bits. I know the thing that has two circles on it is my "altitude adj" thingie. My question(s) for that are; Is there supposed to be a hose attached to the male connector at the bottom? And can I adj the screw at the top to get a little more power out of the old girl? It all looks very similar to the ALDA on my turbo, which I just got done playing with (very big improvement!!!!!!). My second question is if anyone has any info on the vacume set up in the second pic that's circled. This is not in any of my manuals and has not been on any 617 engine that I've seen or worked on. My wagon did get a new long block from the dealershipin 1992 (before we met) and may have some upgraded set up. (They didn't stamp a # on the engine when they put it in, how's that for wierd!? It says 617 and the rest of the plate is just blank.) Just curious as to what everbody-else's looked like.
Thanks all!!
-m-

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd also like to know if that thing can be adjusted on my 1980 300D (nonturbo) as well f...

I'd also like to know if that thing can be adjusted on my 1980 300D (nonturbo) as well for more power. I do have a couple of responses to your questions. On my car, the male connector doesn't have anything connected to it either. Also, I believe that second picture with the vacuum valve is transmission related. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the "vacume control valve for the modulating pressure of the auto trans" thi...

Do you have the "vacume control valve for the modulating pressure of the auto trans" thing on yours? (found it in my SD books!) It's on my turbo and I was under the impression that it was only on turbos. It came on when they started putting in turbos and then you had that vacume switch on the tranny about the same year, right? Aw hell... [:(!]

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...Adj the altitude sensor on a non-turbo makes a huge difference!! I gave mine a 1/2...

OK...Adj the altitude sensor on a non-turbo makes a huge difference!! I gave mine a 1/2 turn ccw. I'm going to give it a few days to see if it's too much or too little. So far better acceleration and no smoke. I'm not messing with the EGR, because as far as I can tell the non-turbo doesn't have one!
Just be very careful loosening the nut. I recommend soaking it over night w/ WD40 or the like. Good Luck wsad!
-m-

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd be interested in getting an update from you in a few days, to see if the performance...

I'd be interested in getting an update from you in a few days, to see if the performance is desireable. My nonturbo does have an EGR, it's located somewhere under the air cleaner. At least I think that's what it is...

·
Registered
84 300D; 85 380SE
75 Posts
the tube at the bottom of the alda is a condensation
drain pipe, not a vacuum line, accor...

the tube at the bottom of the alda is a condensation
drain pipe, not a vacuum line, according to the cd manual. i guess non-turbo cars do have alda's, huh?

live and learn.

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could you shoot me a pic of what youu think is your EGR? I'm interested in seeing it. ...

Could you shoot me a pic of what youu think is your EGR? I'm interested in seeing it. I've got absolutely nothing on my manifolds. Are you in Cali? My SD is from Cali and has more emissions crap and accordingly about 5or6 less hp.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yup, it's an EGR alright. I don't have a digital camera, so I'll describe it. If you h...

Yup, it's an EGR alright. I don't have a digital camera, so I'll describe it. If you have the Haynes manual for the W123 series, on p. 54 in the maintenance chapter, there's a picture of an EGR. It looks just like that, except it's positioned differently.

On my 1980, if you stand next to the passenger side of the car and look under the air cleaner, you can see it. It's got the bell-like body, and a right-angled vacuum line going to it, just like in the turbos. It also has that slot so you can see the valve or whatever inside working, and it even has that crinkled tube coming from it (that visible crinkled tube on the turbos next to air cleaner and turbocharger). Also, it's installed "upside-down" relative to the "upright" way it's installed in a turbo.

Looking forward to seeing if you have one too!

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. definetly no EGR on my car if it looks anything like the one on the turbo. Nothi...

Nope. definetly no EGR on my car if it looks anything like the one on the turbo. Nothing attached to either manifold either. Lots of little odd things about my car though. So far I really like my alda adjustment. I need new fuel filters at the moment after fuel gauge quit last week and I bottomed the tank out so she's still not as happy as she could be. Won't know if my milage is any worse because my odometer is shot as well (that's almost all that's wrong with her though). Let me know what you think if you try it!
-M-

·
Registered
85 300cd, 2000 ford excursion diesel, 1999 528 itwagon 95 roadking
371 Posts
the first circle is called an aneroid used to compansate for altitude. the other is a shut off valve ? looks like it, pull off the vac hose and try to shut off the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes it's simply an aneroid, with no boost pressure compensation (obviously not needed). The
other is your vacuum control valve for the transmission, the shut-off valve is directly underneath.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.