Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
What do I think? I think it’s a shame. It looks ridiculous, sad ol’ MB…[V]

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
if it wasn't so slammed to the ground, it might look good -- hard to tell without seeing the front. i kinda like the white-out taillights on this car, for some reason.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does look like a ruined mb to me thats for sure. but i agree with you, i like the white tailights.[8D]

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
I like it.. won't say that I love it, but i really like it.

Also, many of you guys here are the "older" kind to say it nicely. Unfortunately many in your age group know very little on hydraulics and switches and dont appreciate these cars. Lowriders are NOT intended to look stock at all... some of you have a hard time getting this through[8)]

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
besides the lowering it looks to be in mint condition.

incredible how Mercedes has created styles that appeal to all enthuiasts.

either keeping it stock, modifying for performance or being in the low-rider scene, everyone appreciates a nice benz.[:)]

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Are you sure that's not a Photoshop picture. Why is the rear wheel slanting like that. It looks like there could be something very, very heavy in the trunk or the axle is about to break. [:0]

Maybe there's some dead bodies in the trunk. Could be other people who were critizing the look of the car!!![:D]

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
Prochambers - 4/15/2005 8:38 AM

Are you sure that's not a Photoshop picture. Why is the rear wheel slanting like that.
that's b/c it's squatting -- when the hydraulics raise the car, the rear wheels straighten out. i'd like to see some pics of this car raised a little up off the ground, and also of the front -- it really has potential.

not to get too sentimental, but i love the idea that when this lowrider benz was purchased new 30+ years ago, it was an exclusive, exorbitantly expensive car for some rich person. then after it lived its original life, it went through a rebirth into a cool urban ride (and who knows how many other lives it had in between?). it illustrates the point that with some care, these old benzes just keep on going, and that they can be enjoyed by all of the various owners they may have over their long life [:D]

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Exactly! much better to have someone love the car and spend time modifying/restoring/improving the car rather than letting it rust out on their lawn from lack of maintenance because you want to keep it 'stock' and use only 'original' parts. No offense JDC, i know you spend the time to restore, but many here don't.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
As I’ve noted in countless other threads, I fail to understand the point of owning a classic MB and not keeping it or restoring it as it was intended by the designers – it’s a butcher job, not an improvement. If one wishes to lower a car go get a Camry or other disposable car, knock yourself out. It has nothing to do with age, or appreciation, or knowledge of hydraulics and switches but an understanding of the historical and design context of the car and the basic reason why we love our cars. As I’ve also noted before perhaps someday – soon, I hope - the above car will be purchased and restored by an owner who understands this.

There will forever be a schism, reconciliation is impossible. I know I’ll never ‘win over’ those of you who like to chop and drop and I’ll never try; but if we don’t respect and preserve these classic cars, who will? And where will they be in the future?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I am 22 years old. But given my generation's taste in contemporary arts, I consider myself born 40 - 50 years late.
Ruined a true classic /8. What is the purpose of a lowrider? How does the setup increase fuel economy, power, or appearence? Glad that's not my old car.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JDC, i understand your view completely, you like to keep cars stock. shall i say, old mbs. you like to keep them stock to have them last forever and have them remain as a true classic and so on. I respect that. Now there are people out there that like to take these old mbs and "play with them" usually of the younger ages, but dont get me wrong some older aged people like to tweak these cars too. Some people like to see what they can do to these cars and are car fanatics. i mean, all cars get old and they WILL die off sometime. w123s there are sooooo many of them and its over 20 years later since they were first introduced. People here are just stating there opinion and so are you so that is really cool, but what i dont understand is when people post a thread about a modified w123 you go in there and start to criticize and ask questions on why people are "destroying" these classics. im not sure if thats the correct word u use.

I posted this pic just to see what peoples responses would be and it has been interesting actually. Thanks EVERYBODY for contributing including you JDC.

Personally i wouldnt go this far and modify a w123 to this extent, but slight modifying in my opinion is ok! I mean just the simple things, but keepin it lookin like a mb [:)]

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
jzaroh - 4/15/2005 9:03 PM

I am 22 years old. But given my generation's taste in contemporary arts, I consider myself born 40 - 50 years late.
Ruined a true classic /8. What is the purpose of a lowrider? How does the setup increase fuel economy, power, or appearence? Glad that's not my old car.
LOL.. fuel economy and power? Those have nothing to do with lowriders as they are not intended for everyday driving.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
obaja - 4/16/2005 5:40 AM

w123s there are sooooo many of them...
The issue is the same for 123s and 126s, as ‘youngtimers’ they have not yet reached classic status (‘oldtimers’) - and that’s for a whole other thread… [:0] The problem is someday there won’t be so many 123s or 126s. Rust and accidents are taking their toll. I think we should start now to respect and preserve the classics these cars will become.

As far as any posts I’ve made in the 123 forum about this subject are concerned, I was aiming for friendly admonishment rather than criticism.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
Well, here's my 2 cents. I think that if the owner of this car absolutly loves the way his car looks and it makes him happy, then who am I to criticize. That being said, I think Chip Foose put it pretty well when speaking of design changes on a vehicle. I can't directly quote him, but his basic view was that when he modifies a vehicle, it is truly more an issue of refineing it... to make changes that are not fad-related that will stand the test of time. I think that ten years from now those oversize rims are going to look awful. One of the hallmarks of a Merceds is that the designs have remained pleasing over the decades........ that also being said, can we just remove some of the three point stars from some of the more recent Chrysler-edes? They are mucking up the design continuity of the brand. It kind of reminds me of what AMC did to Harley back in the day.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
all right, i have to get something off my chest -- sorry for the long post, but here it goes:

9 times out of 10 i would also vote for keeping a car stock, and i think most mods that people make to their w123s, w124s, and w126s are a step backward. why? because many people who buy one of these older benzes are too poor or unmotivated to invest the money in a proper mod job. they're ecstatic that they're driving a benz, and in their excitement they either start changing things on the car just to have something to play with, or to cover up blemishes. but they can't (or won't) spend thousands of dollars on mods for a car they bought for $1500 with 185,000 mi on the odo. they can't afford to buy and professionally install AMG kits or BBS wheels or any other component that would actually look good or enhance performance. no, instead they go to ebay's bargain bin.

and the result is so predictable and unoriginal that it hurts:

1) slapping on clear corners is mandatory, making the car look just as unique as everyone else's
2) next on the list are euro lights, and chastising those who choose not to go for them
3) chrome fender flares are a cheap way to add some bling
4) lowering the car often comes next, as do complaints about the tires rubbing on the chassis
5) and what would a mod be without big-ass alloys off of tirerack, in whatever brand you can afford? never mind that they often degrade ride quality and look garish next to the benz's subtle curves -- it's not stock, and that's all that matters. plus having a car with big wheels means you're good in bed, i hear...

so the result is that most modified benzes end up all looking the same: they all wear clear corners, big wheels, and maybe fender flares, sitting closer to the ground than they did when they were stock. plus, usually the aftermarket components don't particularly match the car, nor do they match each other. and in the meantime, the cruise control is broken, the tranny is slipping, and the car idles rough, but god forbid you invest your extra money in getting the car in good mechanical shape; no, instead, let's install an alpine head unit to drown out the slipping A/C clutch's screeching.

that's why i'd almost always vote for keeping these cars stock. they look good they way they are. having said that, there are exceptions, and i always appreciate someone who does a thorough, careful, and imaginative mod. rbadina's w124 is an example (even though i would never do that to my 400E); so were scrapingscrap's and englevakten's SECs (again, not cars i'd want to own personally, but i appreciate them anyway). and, though i'm not into lowriders, i would put the benz at the beginning of this post in this category as well -- the paint is nice, the taillights look cool, the wheels are a fake-wire pattern that gives a nod to the car's old age -- and overall, the car look harmonious and carefully (re-)assembled (even if, once again, i wouldn't want it in my personal garage).

i hope i haven't offended anyone -- they're your cars and go ahead and play with them. as i said before, i'm glad that so many different owners get to enjoy the same car throughout its life. but i guess i wish people thought a little longer before deciding to embark on a mod job, because keeping your benz stock is a thousand times better than doing a half-assed job.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,821 Posts
MB250 - 4/16/2005 2:11 PM

That's a shame, I'd rather let mine sit on the front lawn and rust away then have it look like that.
And thats PRECISELY what would've happened, had this guy not come along and saved this car. Tell me, purists, just WHERE WAS the classic restorator? Why can we post SO many pics of vintage MB's that have been turned out like the above? Why CAN'T we post more that have been "fully restored to stock"? Why didn't a purist put in the effort to find and save this car instead of the "punk"? Now that it's done, WHERE is the PURIST to offer this guy the check to reclaim the car and make it "right"? HE AIN'T THERE. The fabled classical restorators simply are not out there. And the one's who are, are NOT stepping up to the plate. They are not willing to foot the bill to get the look they desire like so MANY of these young "ruiner's" are. So, who is? Young "punks" like the guy above, who literally find a car like that over-grown in grandpa's field, pump about $10,000.00 into it, and "ruins" it as many of you say. But YOU didn't save the car, you just arm chair-critiqued it after THAT guy put it back on the road. Some of you need to get a grip. I've seen guys on this board who think 18 inch AMG monoblocks are blasphamey. WHERE do you draw the line, and WHO draws it?

The scary part is, some of you TRUELY would rather see that car rust to metal particles, than see that guy do a damn fine job of restoring paint, interior, engine, and then adding on serval REVERSIBLE mods that may not be to your taste. I find that quite[V] And THAT is the "shame."

1 - 20 of 45 Posts