Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
E320 Sport W210 & S500 Sport (AMG Package) W220
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 e320 and im trying to have someone install my alpine iva-d900 in my car but i called an installer (Tweeter in Maryland) and they said that '99's and beyond can NOT have in-dash mobile units installed due to the "fiber optic"???????? does anyone know different? i really dont want to put my unit back in the closet. Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
98 e320
85 Posts
You can install it, but you won't be able to use the CD changer in the trunk. I installed an Alpine head unit, then ran the changer cable under the center console, under the carpeting, then under the rear seat, and back to the trunk where my Alpine changer not lives in the same bracket where the factory changer was. All you need is the "VW" harness adapter, which costs about $12. The wiring diagram has the blue and blue/white leads reversed, so make sure you get those straight or it won't work. Not too difficult of a job. Main hassle is running the control cable under the console, etc.
Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. Stupid question, you said you installed an alpine headunit and it was fine, does it make a difference that this is a monitor/dvd/cd/radio player (all-in-one)? I dont care too much about the factory changer, mainly cuz i dont have one. I guess in other words you're just saying that the only fiber optic wires are to the cd changer, not to the headunit, right? I just want to utilize my in-dash monitor unit in this car, maybe the installer was just B.S.'ing because the car wasnt right in front of him to check it out, but they just sounded like they were sure that no other unit could be installed. ?!?!?

·
Registered
2000 E320
173 Posts
They kind of don't know what they are talking about. I put the IVA-D300 unit in my 2000. Works fine with the Bose system. However, they are correct that since the car steering wheel controls and the stock changer are fiber optic, they won't work with your new unit. But, you can sell your stock MB CD changer on eBay and probably get $200-300 for it and by an Alpine changer for $200-300. And, if you want to go one better, instead of buying a CD changer, buy the Alpine iPod controller and an iPod which will run you less than $300. You can see pics of my install at:

http://forums.*.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84369

The * is "mb world" <--one word, no space (this forum keeps other forum's links from displaying.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I really need someone's input on this who has had it done. Hopefully if I take it in, they'll just shut up and install it. I dont have steering wheel controls on mine, so it looks like im good. Where did you find that iPod connector for alpine? Again thanks for your reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts