Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alpine iLX-W650 Double DIN installed in 2002 CLK430 Convertible

I just replaced my single DIN original unit with a double DIN.

All from Crutchfield...
Alpine iLX-W650 Head Unit - Item #500ILXW650
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Satellite Radio Tuner - Item #220SXV300
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface - Item #120ASWC1
Scosche SLC4 Speaker to RCA Four Channel Line output converter - Item #142SLC4
Metra 70-1784 Wire Harness for Merc - Item #120701784
Motorola/Male to Volk/Female Antenna Adapter - Item #12040VW12
Metra 86-9001 OEM Radio Removal Select VW/Audi, and Mercedes models - Item #120869001

Total price was $421.85

So basically I added the head unit and the XM tuner to the cart and there was a kit that included all the rest of the stuff. I did not need to use the Scosche SLC4 Line Output Converter because all speaker wires from the original radio harness goes to the amp... all speakers are wired to the amp. So the converter isn't actually needed. If you want to control the output from the HU to the channel, then you can use this since it has a screw for each channel to control the output. Anyway, I didn't use it. The steering wheel controls are simple. Even though the company doesn't have a verification for the CLK430, I used the setup instructions for the AMG55... works perfectly.

The only thing I didn't purchase yet because I don't know which one to get is a cage and trim. So, temporarily I gorilla glued some metal strips to the bottom and both sides of the opening in the dash, the plastic part... the Alpine wedges in perfectly. Again, that is temp. I am going to attempt to get a cage in the next few weeks and hope it fits.

As for the system. I'm telling you all right now this head unit is GREAT! Carplay is the way to go. Google Maps and Waze means I never need to pay for a stupid maps update to the system like I used to have to do on my newer cars. Plug in my phone, bam... maps, google play for my music, text messaging using voice. I never have to touch my phone, I leave it in the console plugged in and I can carry on a text conversation with someone via voice. Now, the sound quality... I had the original BOSE speakers and amp with the Becker single DIN unit before. As I said before, the wire harness hooks up and makes this new unit work with the amp. This new unit is so excellent that it's like it woke up my BOSE system. Everything sounds 1000 times better than with the Becker garbage. This unit also has a 9 band EQ with tons of other great features for tweaking sound and timing. My system now sounds like a BOSE should sound.

So, if anyone knows what cage would work, and what trim piece, please let me know :) Oh, and if you know anything about that little trunk lid satellite antenna, like, where is the cable? Is it in the dash somewhere? The original radio wasn't satellite, yet there seems to be an antenna. Or is that the phone antenna?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,857 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. That sounds like a nice installation! You should consider posting some photos. Also, it's not necessary to reply with the same info in every thread on the topic since most people scan for new thread updates and will see your reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I posted all that as a reply to someone’s original post. After replying I thought why not make a new post of just this, then add photos when I get home, then update it as I add to it to finish it. Don’t worry, I wasn’t planning to post that whole thing in a bunch of places 🙂

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, this is without a cage. It holds in place perfectly, but it’s not pro quality. So a cage is definitely next. Also, the provided microphone is ok but I may try to find a way to wire into the built in mic above the rear view mirror. The XM antenna is temporary. When I get a backup camera I may also get a shark fin for the trunk lid and run both at the same time. The USB cord currently is coming from under the dash and coiled up into the cargo next on the passenger side. When I run the camera and shark fin cables, I’ll also re-route the USB to the center console and utilize the holes already there for the tele-aid cable. So, there’s a bit left to do. Hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll get around to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
I ordered a head unit and the various accessories that Crutchfield suggested last winter. I had a terrible time getting the radio to work with the wiring. Spent hrs on the phone with Crutchfield. They were very nice and patient but finally told me I should go to a stereo shop. At the shop, the first thing he did was ditch the Scosche unit. Said I didn't need it and he had never used one. He redid the wiring and used a simple adapter to plug into the radio. He spent a long time trying to get the Axxess steering wheel control to work but couldn't. So I lost steering wheel controls and the automatic volume control in the oem radio. In a convertible you have to turn it up to hear it while driving but at a light, it's too loud. It's amazing what you get used to and miss when it's gone. Overall the sound is not as good as oem. It seems like the sub is not working. On a music stick the volume and sound is different with each song. It's a midline JVC head that they recommended. I'm hoping there is something I can do to improve the sound.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks. The audio guy was the one messing with I'm. He used them before but could not get the Axxess unit to recognize whatever. Car is my winter ride in Fl. So I may go beach to him this winter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a pioneer NEX radio installed, using the original speakers. the cage i used is from pioneer https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/AV-Components/ADT-VA133.
i have the axxess but didn't get it to work. did a good job soldering the wires, so too lazy to pull everything back out..
my microphone is behind the A pillar and clips to the visor. USB wires in the glove box for apple car play.
as you probably already know, the cutout on our cars, the corner is a bit round where the cage/radio is more square in the corners, so the radio sticks out a bit more..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a pioneer NEX radio installed, using the original speakers. the cage i used is from pioneer https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/AV-Components/ADT-VA133.
i have the axxess but didn't get it to work. did a good job soldering the wires, so too lazy to pull everything back out..
my microphone is behind the A pillar and clips to the visor. USB wires in the glove box for apple car play.
as you probably already know, the cutout on our cars, the corner is a bit round where the cage/radio is more square in the corners, so the radio sticks out a bit more..
View attachment 2603061
I saw that cage online a few weeks ago but didn't bother with it because the pictures of it shows there are tabs in the front that fold down from bottom and up from the top... we don't have room for those tabs. Did you just cut the tabs off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw that cage online a few weeks ago but didn't bother with it because the pictures of it shows there are tabs in the front that fold down from bottom and up from the top... we don't have room for those tabs. Did you just cut the tabs off?
i don't think i cut anything. but if fitment is snug you don't need to use the tabs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't think i cut anything. but if fitment is snug you don't need to use the tabs.
Oh, no I didn’t mean the tabs you poke inward to hold it in place. I meant the tabs that are hanging downward from the bottom and sticking up from the top... looking at the front edge that is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, no I didn’t mean the tabs you poke inward to hold it in place. I meant the tabs that are hanging downward from the bottom and sticking up from the top... looking at the front edge that is.
But, if that fit yours, I may do it. But, the kit doesn’t show anything to mount to the sides of a unit to lock it into a cage. Yet it does show it comes with keys. Did it come with pieces to screw into the unit to lock it in the cage?

·
Registered
8 Posts
the two side pieces you screw onto your radio. the 4 screws on top/bottom of the side pieces screw onto the cage in the front to hold it in place.
i just pull the radio out again and tried the axxess but nope.. i think i had the pin 1 & 2 reversed before, but fixed that and still couldn't get it going..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the two side pieces you screw onto your radio. the 4 screws on top/bottom of the side pieces screw onto the cage in the front to hold it in place.
i just pull the radio out again and tried the axxess but nope.. i think i had the pin 1 & 2 reversed before, but fixed that and still couldn't get it going..

Ahhh, I get it. Damn I like that too. I think I’ll get this since I see it actually works. Thanks! And too bad about your wiring. I love that it worked on mine. I’m spoiled by having the steering wheel controls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts