Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really is a great car. Purchased it from a sweet old lady last week, it has traveled 10,000 miles in the past 10 years, 80,000 in the 10 before that. The original Becker stereo is fine but could use a little somthing. I was hoping to simply replace the speakers with new high quality ones of the same dimension. Will this not work? I was reading a previous post about coaxials and 4 ohms etc and that an amplifier would be needed. Sounds like I should just leave it alone until I want to replace the whole stereo. Then I imagine I would need to fish wires. I still just want to replace the speakers?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dropped in a new deck and speakers for the front and back in my 201, works great. Not the best sound due to the confined space and using small speakers... but huge improvement over the crap becker stuff. You can drop in some speakers of the same dimension, I don't think external amps are needed... but they would help. New wire is not required... too difficult. If you don't care, cut bigger holes for the back and put some 6x9s in there. I used the stock speaker grills for the front speakers so at glance it looks like the terrible paper cones in there! :) These cars aren't very stereo friendly, especially my 201! But it is possible to but some kill systems in these with plenty of work and money. New speakers and new deck if you wish are all you really need. Subs don't work too good due to the extremely good sound proofing of the trunk. Removing the first aid kit and tray didn't even help for me!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 1 1983 300D turbo for about a year, and replaced the front and rear speakers with standard JBL's, and it worked fine, sounded pretty good. If you're using the becker, I have no idea how it'll sound, but on a decent aftermarket stereo it sounds great. You might get a little dimming without an amp, but that would be about it. You have to be careful with the front speakers, cause the grill fits tight. Like if you get two ways, make sure they're not to high to fit. You can scrape off some of the insulationy-foam type stuff to get some extra space.<br> <br> Shamir<br>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts