Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see if people who have a R class have purchased an extended warranty for their cars once its out of warranty. My 4 year /50,000 mile Mercedes warranty is up next month. Wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty or skip it and try my luck with no warranty. So far no big issues with the car, but I only have 34,000 miles on it. Debating purchasing a warranty or not or is it time to trade in.
One dealer offered my $26,500 for my 08 R class as a trade. Anyones thoughts on that trade in price?
Also have a dealer willing to sell a new 2012 GL sticker $74k for $58k. Not sure if its wise to buy a 2012 Gl when the 2013 is coming out.

·
Registered
97 S500, 99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63
50 Posts
What version R. What options does it have?

Looking on eBay for 08 R350s, the 26.5k offer you got seems pretty fair.

If you plan on keeping the car a few more years I'd get the warranty as it's shown to have paid off for quite a few members on this board. I bought an extended warranty for mine from National Warranty Corporation through my dealer. It adds an additional 4 years and 50k miles of coverage and no deductible. It's already paid off over half of my investment in only a few months of ownership but that's because my car is sort of a problem car to begin with.

If you feel that yours has been reliable and it doesn't have too many optional extras that can cause more issues then it may be better off to "go commando."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2008 R350 gas 4matic. It's in perfect shape. I love the car. It's not as loaded as many of the R classes out there. I have a sunroof, not a panoramic sunroof. Power lift gate, heated seats. iPod and Bluetooth Harmon karmon system. I think that's it as far as options. Only issues I've had was the tail light went out. Wiring had to be replaced. Dealer took care of it under warranty. My goal originally was to keep it for a very long time but have heard horror stories about after warranty things going wrong and the cost being extremely high. I have in the past week heard a noise up front when I go over a bump. Almost like a bad shock. Also have see a few random oil spots on the garage floor. So I'm of course wondering if this is the start of things to come. It could be minor but after this month it will be all on my tab and the cost could be out the roof. I do need to buy tires and do an expensive service soon so with the cost of all that and the warranty it will be costing me many thousands just to keep it around. Maybe 5K or 6K?
I tried to locate a 2012 R class but it seems all the dealers in my area have sold their last ones. I then figured check out the GL to see if they had discounts since the 2013 has been redesigned. It seems they do. Dealer offering me 15K off which is better then what I got off for my R class back in 08. So it's tempting. But I don't know much about the GL and not sure if it's bigger inside then the R. Also my car is black which I love, the GL is silver. Not sure it looks as nice as my R. So I sit here wondering if it's worth spending money just to have a new car and be in warranty. The GL does have a lot more options on it than my R. It would be an upgrade. Or stick with my R class which is paid for and no car payment but dump more money into it as its value deceases by buying a warranty. I have no clue what's best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Either get the extra warranty or trade it. Read this forum and the other R-class forums out there. You don't want to own this car without warranty coverage.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
We were in same situation last year August, we have an 08 CDI, we decided to keep the car but did not buy extended warranty, so far so good, but we are only at 65000miles now.
I did however purchase a STAR/WIS system online, from China, external HD running on a virtual machine and all cables for any MB product, Smart, MB cars trucks etc.
Only thing we have replaced so far is the control module for the glow plugs ($141 from dealer) found the fault with the Star system, and few weeks back all brake pads and rotors (first time 64000 miles), not too bad for a heavy car/truck.

It really seem to be a hit or miss with a MB, either it will be almost trouble free or it will be a headache, OldMBGuy had a lot of issues and we have been OK.

I have to admit we have had our share of issue when the car was new, all taken care of by warranty, they where mostly bad installed parts at the factory or bad aligned at the factory, only other issue we had that cannot be blamed that way was the feeder pump for the fuel system, it failed premature, but that could also be due to "dirty diesel" even we have followed the fuel filter replacement etc...

Also I saw your post in the GL forum, and the biggest problem with the GL is that it will ride like a SUV compared to the R, not that the R is a nifty car, but the lower center of gravity makes it handle better than the GL. Also space is better in the R, the GL is more cramped, yet to check the 2013 but the dimensions have only changed slightly and the wheel base is the same.
I'm my self very interested in the 2013 GL, but will wait at least a few years to let MB sort out all the gremlins :)

But if the issues start to come with our R we will let it go, maybe to another brand the new RR seem to be sweet...

So all in all, I guess that it depends on your car, did you have a lot of issues or did you have a trouble free experience and is your 350 VIN range with inside or outside the famous sprocket issue???

·
Registered
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
785 Posts
Had 08 R350 for almost 4 1/2 years and trouble free so far.

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
I strongly suggest getting an extended warranty. It was well worth it for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I agree with all points. I love my R, its been a great car. With that said I'm still not sure what to do. I know one kick-cup with a repair and I could have a huge bill. After 4 years is it worth dumping more money into it or not? Who knows. Sad that they stopped producing them and that there value is dropping fast. That's my fear of buying a warranty. The cars value is low and to drop thousands into it may or may not be the smartest thing. But keeping it and buying a warranty is always cheaper then a new one.
Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
2002 E430 SE - Gone but not forgotten :-(
95 Posts
Besides National Warranty Corporation, any other recommendations out there? I'm considering an extended warranty for my 06 r350. I think most big issues have been taken care of, but repairs on these cars are expensive, and I do want to keep the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts