Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used finger pressure to loosen the flimsy black plastic door pin surrounds, and after about 100 ccw turns, realised I wasn't getting anywhere. [:(!] I then resorted to needle nose pliers, and after applying vertical traction, and turning them another 100 X, quit the project. [V] The plastic surround on the driver's side is now really chewed up, and looks really tacky on an otherwise pristine car. I didn't even bother with the other one.

Why MB makes them so difficult to remove is beyond me. I may just wait until I go to the mechanic next week, and let him screw around with them. [:D] Has anyone else had this problem? On a positive side, the aluminum pins were easy to install...![:)]

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
the surounds are not screwed in, they just press in. I replaced mine w/alum also. You just need to apply force to them str8 upward. the lock pins are screwed in though.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duh! [:eek:)]

I really applied A LOT of force; enough to mash it up well. Tomorrow morning (it's about 20:30 in Italy)I'll get a standard pair of pliers, and wiggle it out. I was afraid I would strip something if I pulled to hard. Thanks, Mike; you and this forum are very helpful... [8D]

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
I remember seeing somewhere that the SLK had two different type of surrounds. One is just pushed in and the other is actually held in from inside the door. If you had so much dificulty you may have the kind that are connected from the inside of the door.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, cmorosco! I wouldn't even know where to begin; perhaps it's going to be a trip to the body shop. [:(!]

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cmorosco - 2/12/2005 10:07 PM

I remember seeing somewhere that the SLK had two different type of surrounds. One is just pushed in and the other is actually held in from inside the door. If you had so much dificulty you may have the kind that are connected from the inside of the door.
You were right. I assumed it would be a simple screw on surround as the aluminum replacement. Anyway, I enclose a scan of the piece. I did indeed being it to a body shop, and it took a bit of time and work to install them. Read: 40,00 EURO or $51.00! [:0]

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts