Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was ready to jump in, but there seems to be an issue with the gearing, the guy said there are no crawler gears on firetrucks? can anyone confirm this.

said it's worth about 1500 and can be installed

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,330 Posts
lots of missing information here. What model unimog is it first off.

·
Premium Member
72 Haflinger: 75 Pinzgauer 2.7i, 94 & 96 350GDT
1,659 Posts
was ready to jump in, but there seems to be an issue with the gearing, the guy said there are no crawler gears on firetrucks? can anyone confirm this.

said it's worth about 1500 and can be installed
Crawlers for a 404 are about 1500 us
I know a few sets that are available

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
935 Posts
I have a set available for less than 1500, if interested shoot me a PM.

I don't believe there were any crawlers "normally" on a fire mog. There would have been no need. These are more usual on agricultural mogs or added to rock crawlers. The crawlers are EXTREMELY low geared, like get out and walk next to the mog slow, freaking great for rock crawling, not much purpose on a fire truck. They are VERY easy to bolt on a 404.

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a 63 404 tlf firetruck. dont know what tlf means either.

I was under the impression they are all high, low and crawler gears

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078, 1995 M1079, 1079box for sale !!!
5,857 Posts
Bandit I think terms are just getting mixed up. Yes. it has an OEM crawler range you might say. All 404's have this lowish crawlerish range. Technically its not called a crawler range though cause...

There is ALSO an additional "crawler" box you can add to the tranny that goes even lower than the super low crawlerish ranges it already has.

This additional crawler box was rarely added option it seems.

·
5,857 Posts
there is a high and low range but due to tranny design its sorta seamless. Unless you modify the tranny.. its just six gears. I figure most just skip the bottom few unless their loaded. Mine was modified and with a different engine installed so I cant compare.

·
Premium Member
72 Haflinger: 75 Pinzgauer 2.7i, 94 & 96 350GDT
1,659 Posts
so all it hase is high and low range then

I'm buying one mostly for offroading, hence all the questions
Right - on a 404 you will have a 6 speed tranny
2 low gears that are used for "off road" (1,2) and 4 "road" gears (3,4,5,6)
When on the road you will start in say 3rd - no need or point to start in 1st or 2nd

Then there is a crawler gear set that you can add onto the bottom of the tranny - it will add either 2 or 4 additional gears (2 speed add on is more 'common' than the 4 speed).
burqueDOKA has 2 speed set available and Classic Unimogs (google it) has a 4 speed set.
Do a search for crawlers and you will find all sorts of post on them.
I would try your truck (once/if you get it) as is then decide if you need the add on crawlers.
Mogs are not like other 4x4's with transfer cases etc

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,433 Posts
In my limited experience with Mog fire trucks, I've noted that you're much more likely to have fast axles then crawler gears. UNLESS, the Mog you're looking at has been used as a wildlands fire truck. Then, it would almost surely have crawlers.

Both 404's and the next generation 406/416 can be converted in the field with crawler "boxes". The 404 is much easier in this regard, as it's a simple 'bolt-in'. The 406/416 requires removal of the transmission to accomplish the conversion.

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nervous, big investment, I want to do it just have the last minunte jitters... what if it's a lemon

and what amI going to do with a water cannon? portable carwash?

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,433 Posts
Keep in mind that a TLF, like a radio body truck, is kind of big for many types of wheeling...

If you can verify the axles and transmission are reliable you're probably OK, the engine is easy to fix. The amount of tolerable rust is up to you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 1300 is ex fire truck and has no crawler gears. It does , however, have fast axles that let me do 55 mph @ 2100 rpm with 15.5 tires. I could almost use real crawler gears, except from what I have read here I probably don't have the required internal gear to just bolt a set on even if I could find them for a 1300.

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not big on the firetruck cabin, but I need the extra room, a single cab not big enough. I wish I could find a doka for a reasonable price.

·
5,857 Posts
BTW- for offroading.... you won't need the bolt on crawler box for years. Learn to wheel the 404 w/out one . You will outwheel most everyone around you still too. The existing granny lows in a mog is significantly lower than a domestic "granny" gear. There is little to no comparison to a domestic truck granny.

If you want a comparison; go sit on an old farm' tractor, put it in lowest gear; take a break- leave it in gear ideling on down the trail; alone on its own, while you eat. When your done, pack up. jog a hundred feet back to the tractor still in low range and idling along and hop back on. Mog won't be much different.

It's only been within the last few years anyone was using a crawlerbox for hardcore Mog offroading. Not sure why... maybe they felt you didn't need one? Maybe it was cause they have been said to be weak so many didnt go that way out of fear of just shreading them?

So seriously... get a mog..... go wheel it. It will be long time; if ever, before you'll come across obsticles that can only be made if you had added a crawlerbox.

·
5,857 Posts
PS- what fire truck cab is on that one? The one with a box for fireman seating across the full back of cab or the one with the extra seating only about half width of cab.

If it's full across I'll trade ya cabs. ( I got a single hardcab) I want one of those full width seating boxes and the rest of the box that goes with it. I want that extra seating.

·
Premium Member
U1250L DOKA
709 Posts
BTW- for offroading.... you won't need the bolt on crawler box for years. Learn to wheel the 404 w/out one . You will outwheel most everyone around you still too. The existing granny lows in a mog is significantly lower than a domestic "granny" gear. There is little to no comparison to a domestic truck granny.

If you want a comparison; go sit on an old farm' tractor, put it in lowest gear; take a break- leave it in gear ideling on down the trail; alone on its own, while you eat. When your done, pack up. jog a hundred feet back to the tractor still in low range and idling along and hop back on. Mog won't be much different.

It's only been within the last few years anyone was using a crawlerbox for hardcore Mog offroading. Not sure why... maybe they felt you didn't need one? Maybe it was cause they have been said to be weak so many didnt go that way out of fear of just shreading them?

So seriously... get a mog..... go wheel it. It will be long time; if ever, before you'll come across obsticles that can only be made if you had added a crawlerbox.
I thought my crawler set was completely gone the first time I used them, as I couldn't tell the truck was moving until I looked out the window at the tire and saw it moving barely.

·
Registered
70 406
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
only seats one in the cab. I was thinking about maybe gutting it but I dont think i have the heart to chop a mog. though I still dont have a use for a water cannon, unless to wash the rig off after coming out of a mud hole

1 - 20 of 33 Posts