Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I was wondering if any of you lot can help me...ive got a new style vito 115 and am wanting to fit amg alloys to it...amg alloys are made for the cars really and have offsets of 31,34,37 etc. i believe the the vito needs an offset of 45-50....

if i was to fit a wheel with a smaller offset does this mean the wheel would just stick out of the van a bit? or is it not compatible at all?

also will 18" wheels fit ???

thanks

Jonny

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok...ive read into this a little more....i believe the lower offset of the wheels means they are going stick into the van..which could rub on the calipers... so more questions are:

- the amg alloys are also wider than standard vito wheels...will this mean they need an even larger offset to fit the van?
- can you get spacers for this?
- are there disadvantages of running spacers?

·
Registered
Bandwidth
3,256 Posts
NEVER use spacers! Get proper wheels with 50 offset for the Vito....dealers have a catalogue which will give you a choice of suitable wheels. Do it the right way.....without compromising safety, insurance and undue damage to your vehicle. [:D]

·
Registered
113 vito 1999
14 Posts
i have 19" x 8" wheels and i used a 40 offset, they fit well i just had to roll the back guards. 45 is the proper offset to use, its just not many wheel companys make a 45 offset.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used(5 spoke)ML wheels for my vito, had to get some longer bolts as the boss where the bolt goes through is thicker. Fit & look a treat!

·
Registered
Vito 113
347 Posts
Hi,

Quite a few of the top alloy wheel manufacturers produce alloys suitable for a Vito, both old shape and new. I myself have a set of 17" O.Z Super GT with 215/50 tyres on my Vito 113.

As well as O.Z you could also try Mille Miglia, AEZ or Rimstock/Team Dynamics

www.aez-wheels.com

www.millemigliawheels.it or www.millemiglia.co.uk/

www.ozracing.com

www.rimstock.co.uk

Hope this gives you some idea of what is available, in my experiences you have many more options with aftermarket alloy wheel manufacturers than you do with Merc wheels for example.

Duncan

·
Registered
9 Posts
NEVER use spacers!
not strictly true.

i have a set of 8x17" RH cups. the rh wheels themselves come with a flat rear hubface and a spacer tailored to give the appropiate offset. these wheels came direct from germany with TUV certification - in a nutshell this is almost without doubt the highest test for safety and build quality in the world. basically the wheel is tested to destruction and then deemed suitable (or not in some cases i imagine) for its purpose.

i wouldnt have fitted ANY WHEEL onto a small commercial without ensuring its suitability or durability as children are carried in my wifes' 7 seater vito.

additionally the lower the ET number the further the wheel will protrude from the arch.

hope this helps[:)]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Benz Bling - 8/12/2005 2:37 PM

www.aez-wheels.com

www.millemigliawheels.it or www.millemiglia.co.uk/

www.ozracing.com

www.rimstock.co.uk
Unfortunately, although those manufacturers quote fitment, none of them make wheels strong enough for the Vito. OZ come closest with the Michealangelo II at 725Kg, but the Vito must have a minimum of 800Kg weight rating.

Many retailers quote that "this is OK, we fit loads to vans" but that simply isn't true.

Also the covented TUV rating needs to be taken with care, not just at face value. Rondell for example quote their wheels as fitting the Vito and being TUV rated, but if you speak to them their response is "They'll be OK as long as you don't load the van fully".

Care needs to be taken with TUV. TUV is like BS, they test everything. There is a TUV test for crash testing vehicles with aftermarket components and there is a TUV test for aluminium quality and even paint quality. For a manufacturer to simply state "TUV tested" doesn't mean much, They need to qualify it with which test.

Some manufacturers actually print PDF copies of their TUV certificates on their web site. These are the ones to trust. [:)]

I have some RH Alurad NAJ at 18x8.5 with a 50mm ET and 245/45R18 rubber and they fit fine, The tread doesn't protrude the arches and the inner metalwork doesn't get scrubbed on full lock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be carefull. I saw a brand new 115 the other day with a rear rim completely snapped away fron the centre. We get a lot of cheap copies of brand name wheels that come from Taiwan in Australia.Remember that when loaded, these Vans are HEAVY.

·
Registered
1993 300 SL 24V
81 Posts
I just fitted 8 x 18 alloys[polished] originating from an S class MY 2002..with Yokohamas dbs 245/45/18...Offset of wheels is 44.
Now the wheels are sticking out about 2 mm[hardly noticeable] but look fantastic and the drive is more sticky now..
These vans really look good with 18"s..it tranforms the van completely..will post some pics soon...

·
Registered
3 Posts
ANY V CLASS WANNA MOUNT 18'' MAY CHOOSE BORBET WHEEL.WE USING THE DESIGN LS AND FS IN CHINA,THE VEHICLE WITH NEW WHEEL NEARLY PERDECT.THE ONLY THING WE DISSATISFIED IS,WE CAN'T FIND THE BIG BRAKE KIT SUITABLE FOR IT. THE SAME RESULT BEFELL ON THE SPRINTER 316 CDI.

·
Registered
2001 Vito Van
13 Posts
Jonny Walker - 5/8/2005 2:50 PM

ok...ive read into this a little more....i believe the lower offset of the wheels means they are going stick into the van..
No thats not true. The higher number ie ET 60 makes the rims sit closer to the strut tower, and the lower ie ET 35 makes it sit further out to the arch side. Both these numbers change as you go up a size rim width also ie from your stock 5.5 rim to a 6.5 inch a would make the rim have a Inner Clearance: (the inside of the wheel to the strut housing) lose 13mm (so closer to strut 13mm) and the outside clearance(position of the outside edge of the wheel)EXTEND an extra 13mm outward.

you can do all you test runs and what if from heaps of free calculator websites such as

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

I currently have a list in my pocket of all the size/ ET variations i can use safely and im looking in MB wreckers for rims like of an "S" (nearest load rating) so i can buy a cheap secoond hand set of nice factory rims, knowing they will get under my guards and miss the tower all from my handy list. ET x size variation is a black art, use it wisely !

·
Registered
1993 300 SL 24V
81 Posts
Just to let you know.
I had to remove my 18" from my Vito as they were creating havoc in the front steering geometry and
arms and bearings and so on...
The ride was safer than before but hard and that put pressure on all the front moving parts...
I put back the ugly original alloys and the ride is back to normal..
I guess one needs mirror roads to go low profile
and anything else,you'd better stick to the original
wheel and tyre setup.... [:(]

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,479 Posts
Sorry for your troubles dafi [:(],'spect i'll be changing bearings etc, at some stage with my 19" and 255 tyres, but i'll not change back.Did you consider narrower fronts ,maybe 6 or 7's widths but keeping the 18" diameter ,or a set of staggered wheels off another merc [?]

·
Registered
1993 300 SL 24V
81 Posts
I'll probably be hunting for 17"s and only 225 tyres.
That'll keep the ride sane enough and will look better than the original 15"s....
But I must say,with the 15"s,the ride is much softer
and less demanding.......although it looks so ugly now!!![:(]

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,479 Posts
[:D]Good thinking batman, i was looking for 17's before i got my 19's ,there are some older mercs with fab wheels , the ones i was looking at were 10" back and 7" fronts , they looked awesome,but i could'nt commit to buy after having 18"'s.

·
Registered
2001 Vito Van
13 Posts
dafi129 - 1/27/2006 5:28 AM

I just fitted 8 x 18 alloys[polished] originating from an S class MY 2002..with Yokohamas dbs 245/45/18...Offset of wheels is 44.
Now the wheels are sticking out about 2 mm[hardly noticeable] but look fantastic and the drive is more sticky now..
These vans really look good with 18"s..it tranforms the van completely..will post some pics soon...
Did you need to drill out the bolt holes or do they use the same size wheel bolts. I had a lot at some the other day and the merc car ones look like 8mm and the vito about 12mm plus ? obviously the 112x5 is the same just worry i buy them then need to drill out the holes to take the bigger vito nuts :O)

·
Registered
Previous Project = E30 Alpina --- 8 years later, Project V230
112 Posts
dafi, I'm curious to know as to exactly what problems you had with the 18s on there? There are lots of people who have similar wheels but haven't mentioned anything. thnx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts