Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560sl
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just purchased a beautiful SA and wanted to share it with you.
I've been lurking here for a long time in my quest for the perfect roadster and have been inspired by this forum. I have a long list of items I will be addressing on this car, some out of need but most out of want.

The car was owned by a retired airline pilot and sat in his garage for five years, accruing only 500 miles in that time. It has 62k on it, all done by the first owner. It needed a lot of TLC when I got it, the top was down when it was stored giving it a strange brown scum on the plastic windows. It also looked like the interior had never been detailed and the PO decided to paint (yes, that's right) the steering wheel and shift knob with a light gray paint. Regardless of all this, it is a gorgeous car.

List of improvements completed include:
Vinyl window restoration with Meguiar's Plastix
Interior detail/leather cleaning and conditioning
Clay bar, polish, wax
Mobil1 LOF, trans service

Modifications:
Era-correct wheels
Custom made black birdseye wheel (on order)
SL600 SA birdseye shiftknob
Clear front markers
Custom moulded mesh tow hook covers

Future mods:
H&R springs
Remus or CLK 550 exhaust

Cheers

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Welcome ! Nice machine. Looks like you are well on the way. You mention 600 gearshift, is your car a SL600 ? It's amazing what people do to otherwise nice vehicles ! I can't imagine globing some goofy grey crap on interior parts. Enjoy your new ride. Methinks for sharing !

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Welcome to posting! Great looking car, I like the SA interiors, a classy unique look. Painting the interior haha what was he thinking... But to each their own, just get that out! :D

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
if this is SL600 SA, this is one out of 99 in the US...

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
very good looking car. i love those rims that come with the car though. if you take them off don't get rid of them. you should keep them.

·
Registered
1985 300SD(SOLD, kicking myself for that now) 1995 SL320(Sold) 1992 500SL(Triple Black) 1990 300SL
227 Posts
Welcome to the Forums! Sexy looking car.
Shame about the previous owner painting the interior, someone should have told him it's not a honda! :mad:

Welcome to the R129 Brotherhood :D

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Welcome to the madness. Lol.
One post with a perfect avatar.
Very unusual. :)
Nice car by the way. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
Congratulation on your Silver Arrow...:thumbsup:...

BTW everybody it look like a 500 not 600 because of the 2 tone interior...:)

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
i don't see V12 on the side so I'm sure it is a 500, unless they stopped putting V12 badges on after 1995.

·
Registered
1987 560sl
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the kind words guys.

My car is indeed a SL500, sorry for the confusion. I don't believe my luck is good enough to "stumble" upon a SL600 SA. If it were I would spend more time in Vegas!

I will be keeping all the original parts (painted wheel and knob included) for future value. The wheels are curbed and don't turn me on enough to repair them, thus the change to the new wheels. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1966 250 SE Cabrio (owned 24 years), 1995 SL 320 (owned 9 years), 1981 570 TE (owned 12 years)
4 Posts
Nice work, Chase. Looks like a really sweet ride. A few questions if I may...

1) did you find the new five spoke wheels or were those what was on the car when you bought it? Your pics show the car with the correct SA wheels. Did you buy those? I've heard the wheels are very expensive to replace but can be refinished to look like new. I've also heard that the trim rings are NA from MB. Can you confirm any of this?

2). did you say you found a matching black birds eye maple shift knob? Wow! Cool! Can you refer to your source?

cheers,

Chuck

·
Registered
2001 SL500 / 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 HO CTD / 2010 Subaru Outback
313 Posts
Nice car and good work on the restoration efforts. I'm kind of partial to the silver R129's for some reason!

That said, you lost me (and I'm sure the rest of the "keep it stock" contingent here on the forum) with the proposed wheel, exhaust, and suspension mods. The Silver Arrow has definite potential for collector appeal in the future due to the relative rarity of the package, so it would be a shame to compromise that. As they say on Mecum, Barrett-Jackson, etc., "a car is only original once ..."

My $0.02.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Looking for source also for shift knob & steering wheel, clear markers. I P/M'd you.

·
Registered
1987 560sl
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, the wheels I purchased aftermarket. It has the original SA wheels on it now but 3 of the chrome trim rings have damage from the P/O. I could maybe have them repaired but I'm really not a fan of the SA wheels.

The shift knob was used on Ebay, unfortunately the sale fell through so I purchased an aftermarket knob that I love. As for the "collectibility" of the car, who knows! I'm changing it to my taste and that's what matters most to me. I am keeping all the original parts but to be honest, I find the original white steering wheel and shift knob to be tacky. Even Mercedes can make mistakes:surrender:

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Thanks guys, the wheels I purchased aftermarket. It has the original SA wheels on it now but 3 of the chrome trim rings have damage from the P/O. I could maybe have them repaired but I'm really not a fan of the SA wheels.

The shift knob was used on Ebay, unfortunately the sale fell through so I purchased an aftermarket knob that I love. As for the "collectibility" of the car, who knows! I'm changing it to my taste and that's what matters most to me. I am keeping all the original parts but to be honest, I find the original white steering wheel and shift knob to be tacky. Even Mercedes can make mistakes:surrender:
dibbs on wheels if for sale?

is the good one front or rear? I am looking for one good rear...

·
Registered
1987 560sl
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the interest bayhas but I plan on keeping all the original parts, including the wheels. If I were to consider selling the wheels it would be as a set.

Cheers,
Chase

1 - 16 of 16 Posts