Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day to all!
Friday I have put down a deposit on the first allocation for the GL420 CDI in Canada! After bugging my dealer for quite some time, he was finally able to get some answers from Mercedes-Benz Canada about the GL420 CDI & the GL550.

According to Mercedes-Benz Canada and my dealer, I'll be able to spec it out in August with all the options that I want. Build date is scheduled in October, and delivery to take place in December.

My dealer also told me that Mercedes-Benz is usually pretty pesimistic about their dates, so I might be able to see it sooner. I don't like the long wait, but I guess I have to sacrifice. I had previously put a deposit down on a GL320 CDI which was apparently two weeks away, but that turned into 8 weeks about a week later, so I just canceled.

Here is the official email I got from my dealer:

"Hi Andreas. I finally was able to get a clear indication from Mercedes on the GL420 CDI and the GL550. There is going to be a small number of both vehicles available to Mercedes Canada for production in October which will be December delivery. This will be August for specifying the options and colors. Mercedes is suggesting that interested customers reserve an allocation in advance as the number available will be pre-sold before arriving at any of the stores. If you would like to place a deposit on this please let me know."

Thought this might be of interest to you guys.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That is too cool! Did your dealer give you any indication if the US will also see it around the same time? That combo will be the perfect blend of power, efficiency, and style.

I can't wait to test drive one...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No he didn't. But from my experience, the US should see it even before Canada does. It's almost always the case. I just bought a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali for the Business, and it's not even available in Canada. It's on the website, and you can order it, but the earliest you'll see it, is two month from now according to a local GM Dealer. I bought it in Texas, and having in shipped soon.
But yes, I am looking forward to the GL420 CDI with the Bluetec. I am going to Europe at the end of this month, and I will make a point of seeing a Mercedes Dealer that has one, and hopefully take it for a test drive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joyride said:
No he didn't. But from my experience, the US should see it even before Canada does. It's almost always the case. I just bought a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali for the Business, and it's not even available in Canada. It's on the website, and you can order it, but the earliest you'll see it, is two month from now according to a local GM Dealer. I bought it in Texas, and having in shipped soon.
But yes, I am looking forward to the GL420 CDI with the Bluetec. I am going to Europe at the end of this month, and I will make a point of seeing a Mercedes Dealer that has one, and hopefully take it for a test drive.

Here are a few pictures of the Denali that I bought. I know this is a Mercedes Forum, but I thought I'd share. What do you guys think? I'll be using it for towing, and hauling odd things arround. This is my first Domestic Vehicle to ever own, so we'll see how I'll like it. However Mercedes will always be my number one choice, and I've acctually never owned anything but Mercedes, from the first day I got my Drivers License. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's ok. I guess if you're not going to be towing too much (maybe barbie dolls, or pillows?), it's ok to use a GM instead of a Ford! But seriously, you are much better off (IMO) to go with a domestic pickup over anything else. They're truly made better. My 11 year old F250 has 130,000 miles on it, and has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I work it hard. I doubt I'll ever part with it.

Even though I hate to say it (I'm a Ford man), that Denali is a good looking truck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
So it's a GL420 CDI, not a GL420 Bluetec? I has assumed that MB would hold back the GL420 until model year 2009 and give it Bluetec right out of the gate. Looks like you have confirmation that it will be available for model year 2008 as a CDI with no pee tank.

On another note, MB has strung me along with my GL320 CDI order for months. I hope they get their act together for MY2008 and especially the GL420, which is sure to be in high demand. I ordered in December 2006 and my build date has steadily moved from March/April to May to June and now July. I would take that October build date on your GL420 with a very large block of salt. They seem to be completely unable to keep commitments down there in Vance. If my company treated customers this way, I'd be out of business.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mbslk350 said:
So it's a GL420 CDI, not a GL420 Bluetec? I has assumed that MB would hold back the GL420 until model year 2009 and give it Bluetec right out of the gate. Looks like you have confirmation that it will be available for model year 2008 as a CDI with no pee tank.

On another note, MB has strung me along with my GL320 CDI order for months. I hope they get their act together for MY2008 and especially the GL420, which is sure to be in high demand. I ordered in December 2006 and my build date has steadily moved from March/April to May to June and now July. I would take that October build date on your GL420 with a very large block of salt. They seem to be completely unable to keep commitments down there in Vance. If my company treated customers this way, I'd be out of business.
Acctually, that got me thinking now. It wouldn't make sense if it was a CDI after the Bluetec was officially revealed. I was under the impression that it is the Bluetec. I'll make sure the dealer can confirm this.

I'm sorry to hear about the long wait with the order for your GL320 CDI. When my dealer first told me two weeks for a GL320 CDI, and that it was enroute already, I had put a deposit on it, especially after finding out that it was almost exactly equipped as I wanted it. But when after a week it all the sudden disapeared out of the system, and the wait became 6-8 weeks, I just took my deposit back, and said I would wait for the GL 420. I don't understand how a vehicle is in transit via rail, and all the sudden has not even been build. Apperantly there was a screw up in the system of Mercedes-Benz in the US at the factory. Whatever it was, i didn't like the situation. Hope they come through with their promisses this time, even though it's a long wait.

·
Registered
613 Posts
mbslk350 said:

I really doubt you will see the 420 diesel in the US in early 2008. The engine and Bluetec system must be certified by the EPA and the EPA has stated the infrastructure must be in place to support the UREA supply. That all takes time as well as developing a UREA warning system in the GL420 to meet the EPA requirements.

Now if they decide to offer the 420 in only 45 states (non Bluetec), it may get here earlier.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mbslk350 said:
... On another note, MB has strung me along with my GL320 CDI order for months. I hope they get their act together for MY2008 and especially the GL420, which is sure to be in high demand. I ordered in December 2006 and my build date has steadily moved from March/April to May to June and now July. I would take that October build date on your GL420 with a very large block of salt. They seem to be completely unable to keep commitments down there in Vance. If my company treated customers this way, I'd be out of business.
That is disappointing, mbslk350. I could not get anyone to give me a firm delivery date either and got tired of trying to order a GL320. :surrender: Ended up getting an ML320 CDI out of inventory. The heavier GL will definitely perform better with a 420 CDI than with the 320 so I will be on the lookout for a GL420 when they are finally available.

gawdfatha

·
Registered
32 Posts
Joyride said:
Actually, that got me thinking now. It wouldn't make sense if it was a CDI after the Bluetec was officially revealed. I was under the impression that it is the Bluetec. I'll make sure the dealer can confirm this.

Great news Joyride. :) Will be interesting to find out if it is CDI or Bluetec.

Possible we would get the CDI in Canada as I do not think any of the provinces line up with the Cali EPA specs? Might be mistaken regarding BC or something, but Alberta we are generally OK with the equivalent of 45 stater models. Maybe we will be good to go with a 45 state version somewhat earlier than the US.

Just speculating, but makes sense MB USA would wait to have a 50 state version before going to market with the 420 in the US; just have one version of the big diesel in the whole country perhaps.

I expect the 420 in either CDI or Bluetec form will be a towing monster!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
stugilmour
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing