Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'83 300SD W126

I did a search and found this is a fairly common problem, but many different fixes. Some said relay/fuse but there is no single relay that controls all windows together, not to mention the wipers.
>
My guess is a faulty ground, but where would I find the grounds for these circuits?
>
Some said ignition, but how would the ignition effect these?
>
Any help appreciated, as it is starting to warm up, and my daughter can not afford to have the AC fixed. Gets 100+F here during the summers.

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
Mine has done the same a couple times. The one time it was persistent I popped the hood and wiggled all the Al fuses. Symptoms didn't come back for quite a while after that. Aluminum fuses should never have been installed in these cars, and there is corrosion after all these years. I need to switch to copper fuses, as most on this board have already done.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My daughter had class until 10pm lastnight, so I didn't get a chance to try with the door open. She claims they have never worked without the key on, but I thought at least the seat adjuster worked without the key??? We just got the car last year.

I hate those fuses also, from my past 1966 VW Bug days. I don't see any fuses that effect the windows, just the two relays. How could the fuses be the issue? Any idea........

I'll do a little cleaning and testing tonight.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1983 300SD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIXED!!! no. 7 fuse does power the window lift, wipers.... Cleaned the tips of the fuse and all is well. Thanks for the help!

P.S.
Your are right, the door adjuster does work when the door is open.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Do you have copper fuses? Make sure you do as the aluminum corrode and often fail at something. Usually one of the first things to do with these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts