Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience driving a ML 320 4-Matic in snowy conditions and if so how in your opinion does it operate?

And what all weather tires would you recommend?

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you and how much do you drive in snow?
I wouldn't characterize them as excessive or mild, just typical of central new York. I live in Sullivan county, ny and there's usually snow on the ground roughly 3-4 months out of the year. The town is pretty good about snow removal so I rarely drive in more than a few inches but occasionally if they're running behind or if there's a big storm, I may be faced with close to a foot of snow.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Lots of people here swear by Nokian all-weathers.

We had over 130" of snow last winter and my kid drove his Explorer on the Nokian all-weather tires all winter with no trouble. I have Michelin Lattitudes on the ML in summer but put studs on it in winter. The Coopers that were with it when I bought it are worn out so I'm putting the Nokian studded snow tires on it this fall. The ML will go in pretty much any condition on any decent all-weather radial; I kept mine on the Michelins until mid-December last year, but it is so icy here, especially at intersections, that I really like to put studs on it in winter for better braking.

If you're driving on ice and snow three or four months a year, you might think about going to two sets of tires. If you can't use studs, I was very happy with a set of Bridgestone Blizzak studless snows I had in Juneau on my Chrysler 300. In Juneau you could go from dry roads to a foot of snow to rainwater covered ice and slush in one day so the Blizzaks were a better tire for a variety of winter conditions. Here in Anchorage the weather isn't nearly so changeable and the icy intersections really make me want to put studs on even though they're noisy, wear out quickly on dry roads, and just tear Hell out the roads. Any pavement over a couple of years old here has definite ruts and once they get some age on them, the ruts will literally throw your vehicle around when its dry and cause hydroplaning when it is wet. The wear is so bad that even this state that hates to tax anything but oil companies puts a $5 excise tax on each studded tire.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience driving a ML 320 4-Matic in snowy conditions and if so how in your opinion does it operate?

And what all weather tires would you recommend?

Thank you
Seeing as studs are banned in NY the Nokian WRG2 is a great choice. It is an all season
tire that actually out performed some of the dedicated snow tires in a European test.
They are an excellent compound that resists getting hard when the temps drop.
I use them on two AWD Mercedes vehicles in the rural northern Great Lakes area.
Snow removal is pretty good. Drifts are an issue and cause many miles of road to
get several inches of hard packed snow. The Nokians just bite right down and do
an amazing job of keeping the truck stable. And if ever needed can tackle very deep snow
that other all season tires would not be able to handle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts