Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I have replaced all the roof cylinders in my 2003 SL500. All the lines are run, secure and connected to the pump. My question is, what should I expect the first time I press that switch? Is there a procedure that needs to be executed? Is this procedure somewhere within WIS?

Special thanks to Klaus at Top Hydraulics!

As always, any tips, tricks, or even replies are appreciated.

Chris

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,255 Posts
No special procedure. The pump and cylinders are self-bleeding, but it may take a dozen cycles to get all the air out of the system.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ... I’ll give it a shot

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, here's how it went. I started the car and let it idle for a few minutes. Then I pulled up on the switch and I hear the pump running. I let it run for 15 seconds. No movement. I checked the fluid level. It's gone down a bit but still between the arrows. I then let it rest for 1 minute and pulled the switch again for 15 seconds and the pump runs again. Still no movement. The fluid level is now below the arrows so I put enough in to get it between the arrows. I let it rest for another minute. Pulled the switch again and after 8 seconds, the roof starts moving and I run it through the entire process. WOO HOO!! It works! I run to get my wife and then all of a sudden I hear what sounds like a high pressure hose letting loose. I run back to the car and fluid is shooting out from behind the drivers front wheel area. WTF??? I shut the car off. It appears something with the ABC is now broken. But that goes in a different thread. Back to the top.

I check the fluid level again and it is at the bottom arrow. I put more in to bring it up to between the arrows. I then turned the ignition switch to the on position and attempt to close the roof. Nothing. No pump noise, top moving, nothing. Hmmm. I check all the fuses associated with the roof (f62, f63, f69, f73 and f74) and all are good. I have not checked for any codes. I do not have SDS and I have to figure out how to manually move the flaps back so I can manually close the top. I have pulled the relay and I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to test it (any help on this would be appreciated).

UPDATE: The relay is good. Thanks YouTube!

UPDATE: Found the process to close the flaps ... Will try this in the morning. Thanks BenzBits!!

Any ideas where I should be looking for the problem?

Again, Thanks for any tips, tricks and even replies!

Chris

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,255 Posts
So no messages on the MFD? I think pulling codes and checking the status of the limit switches it the next step.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: I got the roof flaps manually closed and completed the manual close of the roof. Since I can't start the car, I turned the ignition to the on position and lifted the roof switch. It starts to open, flaps do what they are supposed to and then the process stops (see image). I still need to check the codes and the switch limits as suggested I just wanted to get more information out there.

The messages I see are displayed in the attachments. I also get a message about ESP not available ... see owners manual.

As always, any tips, tricks and/or advice are greatly appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my MaxiDAS DS808 out and found the following codes on the RVC module:

B1403-001
B1010
B1648
B1263-002
B1264-001
B1021

The above codes are all "stored" and none are current. I'm thinking that I need to manually close the roof, clear all the stored codes and try to open the roof again to see if anything comes up. I will also look at the live data and see if anything shows up there. If so, I will post that information.

On the ESP module and the ICM module I have a C14B7 code - Steering angle sensor?
On the System Diagnostics (CAN) module I have P0F9E and P209E - Exhaust Valves?

There are stored codes on almost every module. Maybe I should erase all the codes and start from scratch.

As always, any tips, tricks, advice or even replies, are appreciated!

Chris

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
There are stored codes on almost every module. Maybe I should erase all the codes and start from scratch.
Absent evidence to the contrary, any stored code you see could have been registered during the Bush Administration. So yes -- you probably should erase all stored codes and troubleshoot only off freshly-stored or current codes.

·
19,255 Posts
The ESP message means that the steering angle sensor is not synchronized. This often happens when the battery is disconnected. To reset it, start the engine and while in park, turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock a few times until the error clears.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ESP message means that the steering angle sensor is not synchronized. This often happens when the battery is disconnected. To reset it, start the engine and while in park, turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock a few times until the error clears.
Perfect! Thank you! I will do this when I can start the engine again (once the ABC system is fixed)

I have cleared all the codes and I'm down to 3. None of them pertain to the RVC unit.

after going through the Vario Roof Diagnostic Aid that this forum had, I have determined my roof problem is somewhere in late stage 3 or early stage 4 during the opening sequence. I believe S69/11 is confirming the roof is completely open (based on the picture in the diagmostic aid) but I'm not sure if solenoid y6 is doing what it is supposed to do. Still reading.

As always, any tips, tricks, advice and any replies are greatly appreciated.

Chris

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got back into the car today and was looking at the switches. If you look at the R230 Vario Roof Diagnostic Aid, on the page titled Microswitch - S69/11, the bottom section, S69/11 - Open ... Look at the description.

Top Sequence - Opening
Top Operates until pictured. Stops
prior to dropping easy pack. Pump
continues to run.

I believe my top is getting to this position, however, when it gets to this position the pump DOES NOT continue to run. Also, the red light on the switch starts flashing. At this point, nothing happens. It won't open any further and it won't close. I cannot continue the open process and I have to manually close the roof.

Klaus from Top Hydraulics says that if the switches are clicking they are working, and I can see with my Autel scan tool that all the switches appear to be working.

Here is the status of the micro switches

........................................Roof.......................Roof
..........Switch.....................Closed....................Opening
373.....69/1........................Identified................Not Identified
374.....69/2 & 69/3.............Identified.................Identified
372.....69/11......................Not Identified...........Identified
376.....S117.......................Not Identified...........Not Identified
375.....S117.......................Identified.................Not Identified
380.....S118/1/2.................Identified.................Not Identified
379.....S119.......................Not Identified...........Identified
377.....S126/1 – S127/1......Identified.................Not Identified
378.....S126/1 – S127/1......Not Identified...........Identified

*** Identified = Recognized
*** Not Identified = Not Recognized

Does this information make sense to anyone? I'm confused.
When the red light on the switch is flashing, what does that mean? is the roof hitting something causing the control unit to say stop process?

The dash indicates the roof is in process.

As always, any tips, tricks, advice and even replies are greatly appreciated!

Chris

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
The flashing light in the switch and lack of pump action indicate the roof controller has detected a fault condition. I would check to see if there is a fault code or an "actual value" status unrelated to switches that could interrupt operation; e.g., the pump has overheated.

Your Autel does indeed present the switch information in a confusing manner. "Recognized" is probably an analog to "closed".

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still can't figure out what the heck is going on with this roof. I have checked every switch, I have looked at any and all live data that my scanner will provide. Everything seems to be working correctly.

Is there a method to check/test the roof controller? I have no codes showing up. Is this something that I'm going to need to purchase a Star Diagnostics System?

The one thing I can't get past is this. During the first test, the roof worked all the way down, then an ABC hose breaks and the roof no longer works up or down and now will only go to what appears to be near the Easy Pack position.

As always, any tips, tricks, advice or any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,236 Posts
It seems to me that when you activate the top and motion quits you need to compare the actual open/closed state of the various switch inputs against what the controller expects and hope to identify a discrepancy.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think I may have stumbled upon the problem. I hooked up the scan device again and suddenly I have an error code ... B1263-002 ... This means the switches at the front of the roof (S69/2 and/or S69/3) are staying in the switched position. It appears to be a mechanical problem. I think what should happen is when then the roof starts to open the roof locks should unlock which should cause these switches to move to the unswitched position which I believe is what the control unit is expecting.

I then took the tool and "opened" the latches manually which made the switches move to the unswitched position. I lifted the roof switch and the roof continued to the fully open position. Excellent! I'm narrowing down the problem area.

I pressed the switch to close the roof and everything appeared to work until the roof got to the A Pillar and the locks were in the locked position so it stopped there.

I manually closed the roof completely and lifted the switch and the roof started to open and I released the switch when the roof was about 3 inches from the A pillar. Both switches were still in the switched position. Hmmm.

So now my questions are:
1. Is the front hydraulic cylinder working correctly?
2. Are the roof locks working correctly? Are they opening far enough? It would appear that if the roof leaves the A Pillar, they are working correctly, but I'm not sure.
3. Should the roof locks stay in the unlocked position from the time they leave the A pillar to the time they return to the A Pillar?

Still trying to figure it out and getting closer!

As always, any tips, tricks, advice and even replies are greatly appreciated!!

Chris

·
19,255 Posts
I can't say for #1, but for #2 and #3 - yes.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please reference the R230 Vario Roof Diagnostic Aid, Opening Sequence of Roof Page.

Stage 0 - Appears to work appropriately
Stage 1 - Appears to work appropriately
Stage 2 - Appears to work appropriately
Stage 3 - Appears to work appropriately

Stage 4 - Switch S117 (bottom half) is recognized. This is where the process stops. If I press switch S117 (top half) so that it is recognized, the process continues. The front vario roof locks are locked at this point and they are not supposed to relock until stage 5

Stage 5 - Appears to work appropriately, with the exception of the roof locks.

Does this seem to be a problem with the VR Control unit? It seems to me that some of the processes are happening too early or too late in the process. And asking again, is this something Star Diagnostics would be able to figure out?

As always, any tip, tricks, advice or even replies, are greatly appreciated.

Chris

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,236 Posts
Stage 4 - Switch S117 (bottom half) is recognized. This is where the process stops. If I press switch S117 (top half) so that it is recognized, the process continues.
It isn't clear to me what position the roof is in when it quits moving, but it probably does not matter. From your description there seems to be a mechanical problem which prevents S117 from correctly registering the position of the roof, and your roof controller is functioning properly. Apart from your having to intervene via S117 the roof opens flawlessly. If so, then I think this is something you can and likely will have to solve on your own.

Stage 4...The front vario roof locks are locked at this point and they are not supposed to relock until stage 5
The hydraulic cylinders for the front locks and the cylinder for the tubular frame are on the same hydraulic circuit controlled by valves y1 and y5; therefore, the locks and frame can not be controlled independently. Since the tubular frame is open throughout stage 4, it is implausible that the roof locks are closed at this point in the sequence. Perhaps when you are finding the locks closed the sequence has begun stage 5?

And asking again, is this something Star Diagnostics would be able to figure out?
It seems to me you have this figured out. That said, where Star Diagnosis may have an advantage over your Autel is that it unambiguously gives the open/closed ("recognized"/"unrecognized") state of the limit switches.

·
Premium Member
2006 S55 AMG - 2007 SL55 AMG P030 -2007 S65 AMG
261 Posts
I assume you replaced the pump?

Hey Everyone, I have replaced all the roof cylinders in my 2003 SL500. All the lines are run, secure and connected to the pump. My question is, what should I expect the first time I press that switch? Is there a procedure that needs to be executed? Is this procedure somewhere within WIS?

Special thanks to Klaus at Top Hydraulics!

As always, any tips, tricks, or even replies are appreciated.

Chris
I'm replacing all cylinders and pump on a 2004 SL500 as well as the pump. Initially I found the pump electric motor part to be bad after I got it fixed the system functioned however the front lock cylinder blew out during trials.

I have all the electrical diagrams for the R230 SL series let me know if need any copies

I have attached the one that has S117 on it

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts