Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 85 380sl all of sudden I have no turn signals. lh and rh front/back non working. changed fuses which looked good and right rear bulb for heck of it but still no go. possible related is wiper blades are also spordicic in coming on but eventually work. anyone any ideas where to look/

·
Registered
1989 560SL
130 Posts
Try the hazard switch. Many times they will get stuck in ‘limbo’ even thought it appears to be off. When that happens, all signal light function stops. Sometimes they need replacement as they do collect dust and liquids, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,341 Posts
What he said. Try cycling on/off many times. Do the hazards work?

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
314 Posts
Try the hazard switch. Many times they will get stuck in ‘limbo’ even thought it appears to be off. When that happens, all signal light function stops. Sometimes they need replacement as they do collect dust and liquids, etc.

This just happened to me. Had no idea they weren’t working until someone gave me the stink-eye for turning without signaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
There is only one flasher but two different voltage supplies for the hazard and turn signal circuits. I went crazy trying to find why my turn signals didn't work. Don't waste time with extensive troubleshooting, the problem is most likely in the hazard rocker switch. Just replace it. Make sure you order the right one. When I ordered mine I initially ordered the wrong one and that caused even more grief troubleshooting a problem that didn't exist.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
531 Posts
What Jyuma said ^. I remember all of the trouble he (you) went through trying to sort this out.

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
What Jyuma said ^. I remember all of the trouble he (you) went through trying to sort this out.
And to add insult to injury, the new "correct" hazard rocker switch had a jumper connecting two pins on the back of the switch that should have been make/break depending in the rocker position but this jumper (that looked like it was there to hold the pins in alignment during manufacturing) held the two pins in constant contact.

Once I clipped the jumper with small diagonal cutters everything worked right. I think I posted a picture of the back of the switch showing the jumper before I clipped it. I'll see if I can find the picture.

Of course I could be remembering wrong... I had multiple electrical problems back then and I could be mixing up solution "A" with problem "B" . It's been a long journey, and I've loved almost every minute of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
2,823 Posts
worked like a charm. turned hazard rocker switch on and off few times and turn signals started working again. thanks to all who gave me the advice to get me thru this problem. I would have never guessed
I would order a switch and replace it at your earliest possible convenience. An '85 380 is 35 years old which means the switch is likely 35+ years old. It has already failed to make the proper electrical connections... why wait for it to fail again?

Here is a picture of the back (inside) of the new hazard switch that came from the factory with a defect. See the two pins at the top with the thin strip of metal connecting them... that thin strip of metal doesn't belong there. Once I clipped it, the hazard and the directionals worked perfectly. The original hazard switch was bad... then I ordered the wrong switch (that looked perfectly identical) and once I realized it was the wrong switch I ordered the right switch and it arrived defective. What a fun ride that was.
MercNewFlasherError.JPG

·
Registered
1998 C280; 1987 560SL
516 Posts
I had the same problem with my car. I believe the problem is not so much age, but lack of use. My car had not been used much in recent months before purchasing it, and I believe the contacts just get a little dirty when not used. Working the flasher switch periodically keeps it clean. The hazard switch is not by nature a high usage device.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts