Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks doin12volt and everyone else here at benzworld. Our 1995 C280 had no central vent AC. It is now 2015 and the proper repair was out of the question (time, knuckles, and money). Well, the five minute repair worked and our benz now has it's central vent AC back. I will explain the procedure again for those who may need extra info.

Five minute fix: Remove the panel under the glove box. There are only three phillips screws at the front edge. The panel then simply slides towards you horizontally. Put aside. Put the seat all the way back and down and get on your back, head in the foot well, look up. A headband flashlight is good to have on. You'll see the black vent on the side wall of the center console. It was visible before you even removed the panel. Right above it you will see two light grey oval boxes, about 1"x3" with colored vacuum hoses running into the bottoms...these are the bellows. Attached to the tops of these bellows are flat, light steel colored arms that go straight up about a foot and control the central vents. To get the vents to permanently stay OPEN, you need to slide each bellow away from the center console and off of their retaining bracket. There are no screws, bolts, clips, etc. It is tight in there. But all you are doing is sliding each bellow off the bracket, then pull the bellow down so it just hangs there. Then, put the under dash panel back on and you are done. (or you could also replace your air cabin filter while you're down there on your back anyway).

This is a nice fix. No damage, no money, no time. Everything is still hooked up. I did one bellow at a time. The one closest to the firewall is for the right central vent. The other bellow is for the left central vent. I didn't think there was room because it looks like each bellow will hit the big black air filter box as you slide them out; but there is 'just enough' room to get them off their bracket and let them hang.

·
Registered
300SEL 6.3 (1972), 300E (1990), C280 (1994)
196 Posts
I was doing mine 1 year ago, and I tried same thing for a while, I don't know if you have blocked the vacuum hose to the bellow which you have manually opened.
Central vents are most important ones, and that is a shame that they have not been designed perfectly, in order to have them opened, they need vacuum to compress bellow and the spring inside, it means bellows will not be in their normal and stress free shape, causing them to crack after years.

I'd just remind you to block the vacuum hose, and prevent any leaking in vacuum system.

And there is even a better fix for that! if you don't want to buy a new bellow, just buy a pair of good latex gloves, or if you know something better like dish washing gloves. you can gently pull a piece of that around the bellow and put the molding back without the use of any type of glues, that will work. On mine it worked for a year, and then I had to do it again, this time with a double layer and hopefully it's gonna last more. And I can adjust all vents now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 99 clk320. Inky the defrost works n it blows hell fire year round. I have no air and no other buttons work. What do I do?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,653 Posts
Welcome Docious, :)

I agree with MB-W202 - could be sticky duo valves.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts