Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420 - 2007 ML350 Limited - 2011 E350 Cabriolet 2009 E550 Sport
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought it was Batteries , Used Her key and it worked perfectly to go to the store to get new batts for mine. Come out of store HERS barely get us back into car, stop to eat on the way back home, hers works to LOCK the car but then we have to use the Flatkey to get back in. Now NONE of them work and yea I have tried the sych technique from the manual 4 times on them and nothing. The 3rd is a spare that had no batts in it but I tried it as well.

Note I ALSO have been the victim of some DOLT who tried to shove a key through my door sensor so it is crack but always still worked.

EDIT / UPDATE

I took a bottle of compressed air and blew out the door sensor and little pieces of plastic flew everywhere. Tried the Re- Synch and it worked but now only the mirror and trunk sensor work now, I have read where you cannot replace the plastic because the parts rapists will only sell you the entire module for around $800.00 LOL It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how old a MB gets the parts NEVER go down in price but instead get more expensive, I guess we will be door sensorless then.

·
Registered
1997 e420
24 Posts
hey e420nick, I had the exact same problem. I used clear silicon chalk to fill the void left from the plastic. It will help keep water and dirty from getting into that sensor and further your problem. However, I also found that those senors are very sensitive to sunlight. On a sunny day too much light and my senors did not work, but simply covering it with my thumb and using my mirror sensor it works with no problem. At night, no problem. I'm no "pro" but it helped me.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,194 Posts
I drove the 97 model for about 2 years and the remote was always intermediate.
I learned to double check the locks and used mechanical key, mostly in the trunk.
I guess this is "this model year beauty" ?

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,194 Posts
Thought it was Batteries , Used Her key and it worked perfectly to go to the store to get new batts for mine. Come out of store HERS barely get us back into car, stop to eat on the way back home, hers works to LOCK the car but then we have to use the Flatkey to get back in. Now NONE of them work and yea I have tried the sych technique from the manual 4 times on them and nothing. The 3rd is a spare that had no batts in it but I tried it as well.

Note I ALSO have been the victim of some DOLT who tried to shove a key through my door sensor so it is crack but always still worked.

EDIT / UPDATE

I took a bottle of compressed air and blew out the door sensor and little pieces of plastic flew everywhere. Tried the Re- Synch and it worked but now only the mirror and trunk sensor work now, I have read where you cannot replace the plastic because the parts rapists will only sell you the entire module for around $800.00 LOL It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how old a MB gets the parts NEVER go down in price but instead get more expensive, I guess we will be door sensorless then.
interestingly the trunk IR has the same internals as the door module, but a diferent housing and slightly different angle on the LED's. And it cost about $125 IIRC. so, I bought a trunk IR reciever, took the guts out, glued a new clear plastic cover on my broken door reciever and installed the new trunk module guts in the door housing. it isn't a perfect fit, but it works and didn't cost $600+ like they want for the door module.

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
interestingly the trunk IR has the same internals as the door module, but a diferent housing and slightly different angle on the LED's. And it cost about $125 IIRC. so, I bought a trunk IR reciever, took the guts out, glued a new clear plastic cover on my broken door reciever and installed the new trunk module guts in the door housing. it isn't a perfect fit, but it works and didn't cost $600+ like they want for the door module.
Do they match the the door and/or trunk to your vin#? I guess they would have to, I will be needing one for my door sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,194 Posts
Do they match the the door and/or trunk to your vin#? I guess they would have to, I will be needing one for my door sooner than later.

for the IR sensor in the door I believe there is no need to match the vin or anything. all it is is the IR sensor, the decoding is done somewhere else. When I ordered a trunk sensor online (which I adapted for the door) I didn't give them a Vin # and it was plug and play.

·
Registered
1997 E420 - 2007 ML350 Limited - 2011 E350 Cabriolet 2009 E550 Sport
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long time no Update

Well it has finally given up. ALL three keys no longer work. New batteries and all. It actually worked for a bit after the first go round but not 100% but now even fresh batteries , fresh synch and fresh everything else the entire system is Kaput! I can lock / Unlock from the keys or dash switch but that is all. I guess? I need to know if there is a DIY on replacing the main components or any other great Ideas. Really sucks now having to stop and explain to the Valet in front of a big crowd that my Benz although it LOOKS great doesn't work and he has to run around to the other side to lock my car. :rolleyes::surrender:

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Hey e-420, where did you get your trunk module?

Thanks
trunk module is available from the dealer. It is electrically plug and play, but not mechanically. What I did was disassemble the door and trunk modules. (remove them from the housing) put a new piece of clear plastic on the door module case, then slide in the trunk module guts. It won't fit in completely, but will fit in far enough to replace in the door. Trunk modules was about $100, why the door module is $400+ is a mystery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts