Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea what a MB dealer would charge for an alignment? I asked the guy I always buy tires from if he could do it and he said while he may be able to, he recommended the MB dealer since he has never done an older MB.

I'm thinking that other than making sure the steering box is centered (which ain't hard) it is pretty much like any other alignment and I know the dealer will rape me for the 'privilage' of having them do it.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I just had an alignment done on mine. My understanding was that there is special tools needed for the camber adjustment. Fortunatly, I have a repair shop that specializes in European imports in the city I live in so I took it to them. He charged me $60 for a generic alignment so I imagine the dealership would be somewhere in the $120-$160 range.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
In order to do it right, there is a spreader bar and a steering lock bolt that must be used. Most non-dealer places don't have or use either. The steering box is supposed to be locked at the box, not at the steering wheel. A dealer is the only place that has done it right for me the first time. I'd guess it wold be in the $100 range. Call and ask them. Sometimes they run specials.

Len

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I went to the local Just Tires where a friend worked before, and the alignment cost me $69 with a set of new tires ($70/tire + mounting/balancing etc)... (due for replacing). Before that I went to a local shop that claimed they could do it, but no! The left front tire squeaked when I made a left turn, and when I had it aligned at Just Tires the squeaking was gone! I'll see if I still have the data sheet.

·
Registered
1984 300D (235,000 miles), 2001 E430 (78,100 miles)
78 Posts
I'm going strictly from memory here, but I think that during the performance of the alignment, weights approximating 3 or 4 people are supposed to be placed in the car.

The place where I take the US-made cars claimed to have a tool for locking the steering box, but did not have the weights, so suggested that I go to someone who specilizes in MB (I've not found a local MB shop since the only previous one left).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts