Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my car aligned after the total suspension rebuild. The shop gave me this interesting little printout that shows where my car is in relation to the factory specs. Obviously they squared away the whole front end pretty well and it's pretty close to nominal specs.

It's interesting that there are no factory specs. for rear camber. While there are no adjustments for it, it's clear that there is some degree of rear camber that should be considered out of spec. In any case, my rear camber stands at -.6 and -.7 degrees. My new differential mount should raise the rear by 1/4" more and drop that amount slightly.

There are specs for rear toe. They are min:.08, nom: .21, max: .33 degrees. One rear wheel is out of spec at -.07degrees while the other is OK at .11degrees The total rear toe is kind of worrying: .04 degrees relative to specs.: .17-.52-.67. The thrust angle is -.09degrees.

Are there any adjustments for rear toe? If not, how did mine get so far off? Why is half a degree total toe even optimal? Are the tires supposed to even out at speed?

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
that is quite a bad thrust angle, it gets that way from hitting lots, and lots, and lots of pot holes

im not sure about rear adjustments on these, but on other cars that have been worse than that, ive been told the control arm needs replacing

·
Registered
42 Posts
rear specs

I just got my car aligned after the total suspension rebuild. The shop gave me this interesting little printout that shows where my car is in relation to the factory specs. Obviously they squared away the whole front end pretty well and it's pretty close to nominal specs.

It's interesting that there are no factory specs. for rear camber. While there are no adjustments for it, it's clear that there is some degree of rear camber that should be considered out of spec. In any case, my rear camber stands at -.6 and -.7 degrees. My new differential mount should raise the rear by 1/4" more and drop that amount slightly.

There are specs for rear toe. They are min:.08, nom: .21, max: .33 degrees. One rear wheel is out of spec at -.07degrees while the other is OK at .11degrees The total rear toe is kind of worrying: .04 degrees relative to specs.: .17-.52-.67. The thrust angle is -.09degrees.

Are there any adjustments for rear toe? If not, how did mine get so far off? Why is half a degree total toe even optimal? Are the tires supposed to even out at speed?
No adjustment possible. Stop worrying . be happy. It's an old car with worn bushings, old springs. I'd be surprised if you can even notice tire wear. I wonder if MB even checked something like this at the factory when they were built. I would doubt it.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Of course there is adjustment. New bushings will "adjust" the toe and thrust back to proper settings. Camber is adjusted by spring pads. Also because the rear axle is mounted at a 45' or so angle to the chassis more camber==more toe. Fix your camber, fix your toe.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Had an alignment done. This time went for lifetime policy at a local Good Year dealer I went to before, since I am keeping the car anyway. Previous alignment was out of spec (was trying to cheap out on it - you get what you pay for). This time they did it right, but only time will tell...

Front left Camber Before: -0.3 After: -0.2 (RANGE: -0.3 to 0.2)
Front right Camber Before: -0.7 After: -0.2

Front left Caster Before: 7.2 After: 7.2 (RANGE: 8.0 to 9.0)
Front right Caster Before: 7.2 After: 7.2

Front left Toe Before: -0.05 After: 0.25 (RANGE: 0.13 to 0.29)
Front right Toe Before: -0.06 After: 0.27

As for the rear (just for kicks since it's not adjustable),

Rear Left Camber Before: -0.6 After: -0.6
Rear Left Toe Before: 0.24 After: 0.28

Rear Right Camber Before: -0.6 After: -0.7
Rear Right Toe Before: 0.30 After: 0.26

Thrust Angle 0.01

Posted alignment specs for actual values on mine and range as per their Hunter machine and printout sheet they gave me. Will go back after tire rotation (also recently had that done) maybe after 5000 miles (next oil change) to check and realign if necessary (for free).

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
I need to do a full suspension rebuild myself. This thread will come in handy. Thanks everyone.

@Patrick: I believe that the lifetime warranty with goodyear is $130, am I correct? That doesn't sound too bad

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Not sure, that's what they quoted me. One time alignment is $80-90 so at the 3rd alignment the $200 pays off.

Paolo, are you planning to get the parts beforehand and have your mechanic install them instead?

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
Beforehand. I'll install whatever I can first then I'll let me mechanic handle whatever else

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
If the shop didn't use the spreader bar and the tool to lock the steering box in place, your chances of needing to return are very good. I have found very few alignment shops that had the right tools and did it right the first time or any subsequent time. I only use the dealer for an alignment. The lifetime alignment isn't a good deal if you have to continually go back and go through tires quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts